WIFI, CC, anti flood & Geo Filter

Good morning from Puerto Rico! A small island located in the Caribe with a population about 3 millions on 100 x 35 km all around. Pretty small island and the weather is always hot. Every season is summer. Our first language is Spanish, so I will do my best in my English. Now, I will talk about the Netduma. I am new on this. I think in PR exists two people with that router. My best friend and me. I want to ask some questions about these 3 topics:

1. Wifi

2. Anti Flood or Congestion Control

3. Geo Filter

1. Wifi – I tried to use the 5GHz frequency because is a Dual Band router and when I selected that frequency… Boom! No more WIFI! I plugged my Ethernet cable to my laptop, reverse the changes and putted back 2.4 GHz frequency and the magic comes again. Why I am not able to use the 5GhZ frequency or both at the same time?

2. Anti Flood or Congestion Control - that is an amazing feature but when this week I was playing COD Advance Warfare on Xbox One, one of my daughter was downloading music and my other daughter was watching Netflix, suddenly the game start to lag. When I looked for my ping in AW party while I was playing the ping was RED with just one bar. My Xbox One was assigned with 90%, first daughter with 5% and the other one with 5%. Then I get mad and assigned 100% of prioritization to my Xbox One to me. I thought that my daughter devices will stop to received internet and they continue downloading music and watching Netflix. How is that possible? Can you explain why I was with lag and why the still have internet?

Also included a feature with two green bar (download speed and upload speed) 100% each one. I leaved that option like this but I noticed that have a message in which say that to better online experience put those bars equally in 70% while online, when finish to play put those bars in 100%. Can you explain more about that?

3. Geo Filter- I will like to know. How can I select an specific host or how can I select a good or bad host that I previously marked or edited as good or bad host. For example. I selected and save two ping of less than 20ms. Both are from Puerto Rico. Can I choose them and play from there? How I select and choose that option? How do I know in which specific host I am playing? I want that option to be able and be sure that the host that I am saving as good or bad is correct. Then if I want to play on any of those good ones I can be sure that the lobby that I am playing is the one that I wanted to be.

I already watched all Netduma Youtube videos and I am have all the same questions. Let me know if I have to write to someone else or another place. I will be waiting for your response. Thanks.

Benjamin

Then I received this response from Luke:

Hi Benjamin,

Great questions and your English is very good!

Answers are as follows:

1. The router only has 2.4GHZ so you will need to leave it set to 2.4. Here is the full spec if it helps:

Www.netduma.com/hardware

2. The device prioritisation works on the upload only. So when your family were downloading intensively, it will not make a difference. But what can help is the anti-flood. Next time they do this, set the green download bar to 70% and you should then be free of their congestion lag.

The way anti-flood works is if you imagine your internet is like a road with four lanes (a highway). Your game is like a little bicycle - it hardly uses any lanes. Your family's downloading is like a huge truck which blocks the entire road. Anti-flood effectively says to the big truck 'you can't be that big, that's unfair'. This then frees up some space for your bicycle to get through. I hope that makes sense!

3. Giving a host a great rating means you will always be able to connect to them if they are outside of your geo-filter range. It cannot force them to be host because it's the game itself that picks the host, not you. What the geo-filter allows you to do is to block anyone outside of your range and if you give them a bad rating, they will be be permanently blocked from ever being your game's host.

I hope that helps and that you're enjoying the router.

Kind regards,

Luke

And my new new doubts...

I am supposed to select in the anti flood 70% of download and 100% of upload or they have to be in 70% both?

Let me think if I get this correctly. For online gaming I just need upload only? No dowload? My question comes because you wrote that

the device prioritisation works on the upload only. I am correct?

Last question. I saw a video in YouTube from Netduma in which a guy was playing online while steaming 4K video, YouTube, Netflix and other crazy things at the same time. He shows no lag, because that was of the main feature of the router. I am a little confuse right now. I thought that if I put 90% of prioritization I will never lag and the other people in the house have just a small amount of speed in the Internet.

Any recomendation to have the best experience with the Geo Filter? I read that ping less than 50 are good. Is that true? I am asking that because I just found 2 ping less than 20. Most of then are higher than 60 and there are many of 120 or higher.

Please be more specific. I will apreciate that. Thank you.

Guest Netduma Luke

Hi Benjamin - hope you don't mind me pasting my emailed answer as it may help others:

1. The router only has 2.4GHZ so you will need to leave it set to 2.4. Here is the full spec if it helps:

Www.netduma.com/hardware

2. The device prioritisation works on the upload only. So when your family were downloading intensively, it will not make a difference. But what can help is the anti-flood. Next time they do this, set the green download bar to 70% and you should then be free of their congestion lag but you can experiment by setting it lower or higher - everyone is different so you'll need to find out what works best for you.

The way anti-flood works is if you imagine your internet is like a road with four lanes (a highway). Your game is like a little bicycle - it hardly uses any lanes. Your family's downloading is like a huge truck which blocks the entire road. Anti-flood effectively says to the big truck 'you can't be that big, that's unfair'. This then frees up some space for your bicycle to get through. (I hope that makes sense!)

3. Giving a host a great rating means you will always be able to connect to them if they are outside of your geo-filter range. It cannot force them to be host because it's the game itself that picks the host, not you. What the geo-filter allows you to do is to block anyone outside of your range and if you give them a bad rating, they will be be permanently blocked from ever being your game's host. 

I hope that helps and that you're enjoying the router. 

Guest Netduma Luke

And my new new doubts...

I am supposed to select in the anti flood 70% of download and 100% of upload or they have to be in 70% both?

Let me think if I get this correctly. For online gaming I just need upload only? No dowload? My question comes because you wrote that

the device prioritisation works on the upload only. I am correct?

Last question. I saw a video in YouTube from Netduma in which a guy was playing online while steaming 4K video, YouTube, Netflix and other crazy things at the same time. He shows no lag, because that was of the main feature of the router. I am a little confuse right now. I thought that if I put 90% of prioritization I will never lag and the other people in the house have just a small amount of speed in the Internet.

Any recomendation to have the best experience with the Geo Filter? I read that ping less than 50 are good. Is that true? I am asking that because I just found 2 ping less than 20. Most of then are higher than 60 and there are many of 120 or higher.

Please be more specific. I will apreciate that. Thank you.

Ben - to avoid your game lagging from other people in your home, you need to use congestion control on both the download and upload. However, device prioritisation works on the upload so to solve the download problem, you should apply the anti-flood. To put it really simply, set your download and upload anti-flood to 70% when you're playing and put it back to 100% once you've finished playing. You should experiment with this to find the % that works best for you.

As for where to put the geo-filter, it's up to you to experiment. I would set it to about 1000km with strict mode on but perhaps move your home location a bit nearer the US south coast so you capture more of those players. 

Also, because you are on an island, it's unlikely you will get such low pings as American customers because there are less players who are online near you. 

I hope that helps. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for purchasing and posting publicly.  So lets jump in

Wifi – I tried to use the 5GHz frequency because is a Dual Band router and when I selected that frequency… Boom! No more WIFI! I plugged my Ethernet cable to my laptop, reverse the changes and putted back 2.4 GHz frequency and the magic comes again. Why I am not able to use the 5GhZ frequency or both at the same time?

The router only supports 2.4Ghz this is mentioned in our buyers guide, 5Ghz is there due to legacy reasons. I should remove it as its confusing.

. Anti Flood or Congestion Control - that is an amazing feature but when this week I was playing COD Advance Warfare on Xbox One, one of my daughter was downloading music and my other daughter was watching Netflix, suddenly the game start to lag. When I looked for my ping in AW party while I was playing the ping was RED with just one bar. My Xbox One was assigned with 90%, first daughter with 5% and the other one with 5%. Then I get mad and assigned 100% of prioritization to my Xbox One to me. I thought that my daughter devices will stop to received internet and they continue downloading music and watching Netflix. How is that possible? Can you explain why I was with lag and why the still have internet?

A couple of things here, firstly to stop other people making you lag you need to use the anti-flood section NOT the device prioritisation. The anti-flood will reduce the total bandwidth your devices use. Its a bit counter intuitive but the easiest way to explain is using an example. Lets say you have a 10mbit connection, when other people are making you lag they are actually using 11mbits. But you only have 10mbits, so what happens is the routers on the Internet end up making a queue. The time spent in that queue is what makes you lag. So the solution is simple when you're gaming you need  to reduce you bandwidth usage so that there are no queues. So in that respect I suggest you set the anti-flood to 70% on the upload and download direction.

The device prioritisation is slightly different, its purpose is not to stop you lagging but to decide how your bandwidth is used. So the anti-flood stops the queue occuring but the device prioritisation  will decide who uses whats available. Without device prioritisation its like everyone has equal opportunity but with the device prioritisation  you can say I want my xbox to get 30% of what's available. 

If you'd like to know more, we are currently in the process of building a wiki that documents the router. Please read the congestion control section: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=user_manual

. Geo Filter- I will like to know. How can I select an specific host or how can I select a good or bad host that I previously marked or edited as good or bad host. For example. I selected and save two ping of less than 20ms. Both are from Puerto Rico. Can I choose them and play from there? How I select and choose that option? How do I know in which specific host I am playing? I want that option to be able and be sure that the host that I am saving as good or bad is correct. Then if I want to play on any of those good ones I can be sure that the lobby that I am playing is the one that I wanted to be. 

You cannot choose the host, the purpose of the geo-filter is to allow you to avoid hosts that will certainly be bad because they are so far away. Since you live in Puerto Rico I would recommend you move your home and size to the example below to get games fast while getting good hosts.

If you do not like a host that is near you, you can decide to deny it in future using our allow & deny feature. To do this click the circle and give it a title like "bad host" then give it a rating low enough to fall in the red slider below for example 5%. Then click update.

post-147-0-46952300-1422978811_thumb.png

Are you moving your gaming unit in the flower to a higher number?  You talk about the Download Cap and Upload Cap being at 70%. 

Example I play on PC, all my devices have the same priority except my Gaming PC, I give it more priority. The more devices you have the less the "numbers" turn out to be (as I think they add up to 100%)

My settings are below.  You can see my gaming PC is at 26 and everything else is at 3.    Can you take a screenshot of yours and share?

i-8kPSZzq-L.png

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok Morbid when you get home please send a screenshot of you entire "Congestion Control" page and your "Host Filterting" page as well. If you need to take multiple pictures that is fine :) 

As you can see in the screenshot, strict mode option is not available in my menu or Netduma. can you fix this? This is a bug? I asked to my best friend and he does not have the option either. I saw a couple of Youtube videos and found that everybody has that option included. Also, I included a screenshot of the anti flood and CC "The Flower" to show my prioritization on my devices. Now you can see if a made something wrong or all my questions are fundamentally genuine. i did my homework!.  :(

post-709-0-96869000-1423056065_thumb.jpg

post-709-0-54982700-1423056077_thumb.jpg

post-709-0-71426400-1423056098_thumb.jpg

Guest Netduma_Iain
I doubt your geo-filter will work the way it is as there is not enough players or servers in PR. Can you replicate what I did in the picture above please :) For device prioritization, for now leave that alone. So click "Reset Distribution" and leave it like that. Finally if you leave anti-flood at 70% each way your family should not impact your ping. To get strict mode you need to upgrade the router. When you get home please private message me and I'll give you instruction to upgrade. 

Here is an article on how to use the duma to mitigate lag: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=dominate_lag_using_the_netduma_r1

You mention your family are making you lag. Having your anti-flood at 70% will stop them making you lag. But that doesn't mean you're not getting lag from elsewhere. So the articile should explain all of that. I highly recommend you set the Geo-filter to the position & radius I set above. If you need help setting the distance & moving your home please read: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=gf_getting_started

Ping test my Mac (Analysis Control) and the screenshot was with my Mac in Terminal. 

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=36.179 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=39.997 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=39.583 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=48.661 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=50 time=36.007 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=5 ttl=50 time=37.963 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=6 ttl=50 time=36.530 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=7 ttl=50 time=36.001 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=8 ttl=50 time=60.504 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=9 ttl=50 time=43.355 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 36.001/41.478/60.504/7.401 ms

post-709-0-55952700-1423142613_thumb.jpg

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok so you have one spike no big deal. You have a reasonably good ping otherwise. With anti flood set to 70% did you notice that ping stayed low while your family used the internet?

Good morning! I am ready for the next homework. I sent my ping results. I played Advance Warfare yesterday while my wife was watching Netflix. Suddenly lag begins. Then I changed the Anti Flood from 100% to 70% and the lag stop but my ping bar in game was red (1 bar) and sometimes yellow (2 bars).

In other subject. Now I have some questions regarding making  or joining a party in Advance Warfare lobbies and internet speed. If I am the party leader in AW. All party members will have same benefits as me with Netduma features like Geo Filter, ping, etc? If other people are the party leader I will enjoy all Netduma features as same when I am the party leader? Other question. Which is the best % of anti flood for a speed of 100mb download and 4mb upload? Which is the best % of anti flood for a speed of 7mb download and 1mb upload? For everybody applies 70% or just depend on your internet speed?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok ignore the games ping bar, as we have a ping graph on the duma that gives you more information.

So problem 1 is solved, the family don't make you lag any more. So the next problem is the distance, you don't want to connect to games too far from Puerto Rico otherwise the ping will be large. On the Geo-Filter please copy the image below. So move your home into the sea using the button that looks like a house. Then increase your distance on the circle so it ends up being about the same size.

post-147-0-46952300-1422978811_thumb.png

Also make sure:

1. You have strict mode enabled
  2. You have the geo-fitler enabled the button should say "Disable"
  3. You have selected "Playstation" > "Playstation Network PA"
  4. You have ping assist set to 50ms

Then try playing games. When you get in a game you should see a big circle. Click the circle and a box will appear below. Once there you can press "Ping" it will show you your ping graph. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

For PR I imagine that is amazing. So very very very good news :)

You want to move onto prioritisation, this probably won't make a difference now but its good to safe guard :)

I recommend you set your Playstation to 70% and make sure you keep "share_excess" ticked.

Now you're good to go :)

About prioritization I thought that if assigning X% to X device everything will run based on that percentage along with your internet speed – less the 70% assigned with the anti flood. Example: Let’s say that somebody has an internet connection of 100mb download and 4mb upload (I just have 7mb and 1). The devices are PS4, Xbox One, iPad, 3 Smartphone and a laptop. Now we have 7 devices. We have 6 devices with 14% and one device 16% to reach 100%. If I assign 100% to my PS4 the other devices are no longer to use internet? The other devices will not work due to does not have a % percentage of internet connection? Which is the best configuration when I am playing alone with no other devices connected and when other devices are connected? Two different scenarios.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Morbid,

In this thread I'm just telling you the best way to set it up. I see where your coming from but the Internet does not work that way, there is no need to set a device to 100%. I'm telling you as the developer of the product there is absolutely no reason to put PlayStation above 70% on the device prioritisation section.

You don't have to listen to me, if you'd prefer to set it how ever you want that is your choice the Duma lets you do that. But if you'd like to know what the features actually mean please read this as it describes their functions :)

Archived