PS3: Black Ops 2 on Seattle Dedicated over weekend - Anyone else??

Dillinger

As the title states - I was playing some Black Ops 2 on Friday and had my normal P2P lobbies.  Didn't do any gaming on Saturday, had a hell of a range day with some coworkers that was a blast.  

Yesterday (Sunday) between cleaning sessions I was gaming on Blops 2 and noticed that 75% plus of my games were on a Seattle Dedicated server.  Sub 20ms pings game after game, but the connection was rough.

I don't know if maybe there is some testing going on, or if the player count on AW/PS3 has dropped off to such a rate that "overflow" Black Ops 2 games are taking up slots on the dedicated server, but I found it odd.  Granted, there were about 108K players online, but I have seen it in excess of 150K shortly after the Beta and don't remember switching over to dedi's.

Anyone else notice a change in hosts lately?

Okay thanks.....bye!

I was playing on AW on Sunday on the PS4.   I kept getting sporadic performance from the COD servers.  At one point, I could not log in at all.  Because of this, I decided to shut down the PS4 and run some errands.  When I returned about 2 hours later, I was able to get on AW but it was harder to find games and the performance seemed off.  I was getting host pings of 15-30 mS yet the games were extremely laggy and spotty.  

• 3 weeks later...

So the picture that I SHOULD have taken would go right here, but dumb ass that I am I was too busy running and gunning to capture the screen image, BUT - I was able to tag the server in San Francisco.

I played about 1/3rd of my games last night on this server (you can tell you are on a dedi when you can't rate the server on the current version of software) and the connection was good.  It wasn't great, but it had a solid ping of about 20-25ms and the games were pretty consistent.  

I strongly suspect as we are now inside the 30 day release window that transitioning current Black Ops 2 games over to the dedi's will give them a lot of valuable diagnostics over the next 21 or so days to better prepare for the huge onslaught those boxes will see in November.  My hope is they are running countless hours of private sessions on the dedi's to test them and further do their Quality Assurance checks, make updates and patches, and retest the final game in the wild.

Now I don't KNOW that any of that is actually going to happen, but I have hope.  #InVonwetrust

Anyone else noticed an uptick in Dedicated servers for Black Ops 2 anywhere else in the world?

I will try to snap a picture tonight, because it's the internet and pics or it didn't happen....

JD

JD... seems like every time I play BO2 there is never a shortage of deli's for me,i'm still looking for those good P2P games.

But wouldn't mind seeing more and better dedi's for BO3 so people will connect closer to their home location's and everyone's games will be better.

Weekend update - Having gotten the house ready for the upcoming winter/storm season (and having the generator serviced because our neighborhood lost power again this weekend  :D ) I had some lazy gaming time and jumped on the PS3 for some Blops 2.

The PS3 is just a horrible network.  The free-for-all to play is just a nightmare for P2P games as I honestly believe this console has become a babysitter as it's a one time cost.  You know what I really want in a software update?  I want the ability to actively mute everyone, constantly, and then choose WHO I want to listen to in game.  I don't know which YouTuber started this little trend of screaming like a fucking moron during the loading screens so EVERYONE has to hear you, but if I find out who it is.....  :ph34r:  :angry:

Having said that, I played easily 1/3rd of my games on dedicated servers in Seattle and San Francisco.  Now I suspect that Black Ops 2 was never optimized for playing on the dedicated servers.  Jesus, I can only hope that is the case and that Blops 3 is being heavily tested in private games now, because the dedicated servers do seem to share the bullet disappearing characteristics that I experienced on the Beta on XBLive.

Lots of "hits" but the guy doesn't die and I have stopped shooting out of muscle memory "knowing" that I have shot enough bullets and gotten the required hits in a "normal" game.  Me, like a newb, moving on and already looking for the second player in the mandatory 1 by 1 covering runs everyone does now, I get turned on by the first guy and killed.

Tried different settings and it appears that the higher the slider, meaning I am "dedicating" less bandwidth to the PS3, seems to result in better hit detection and playability.  I settled in at 91/91 on both sliders and seemed to have the best, overall game plays, but it was also getting later into the evening, so I suspect some easier talent was online during this "testing window".

Research will continue and I will post here if I come up with anything.  Thus far, my review of Black Ops 2 on the dedi's really is a coin toss right now.

JD... seems like every time I play BO2 there is never a shortage of deli's for me,i'm still looking for those good P2P games.

But wouldn't mind seeing more and better dedi's for BO3 so people will connect closer to their home location's and everyone's games will be better.

Me too my large friend.  All I ever wanted was REGIONAL Playlists, but the Duma gave ME so much more.  Now if everyone else would come out of the their cave's, embrace the Sunshine that is Duma, everyone would be happier.  :D

I'll give it to ya JD you're determined,which I admire.I can only play BO2 when it's running half way decent.And over the weekend it wasn't for me,so I switched up to MW3 and had a blast.

But I know you're getting into the groove for BO3 and hopefully the game will run better in the future for you... ;)

Me too my large friend.  All I ever wanted was REGIONAL Playlists, but the Duma gave ME so much more.  Now if everyone else would come out of the their cave's, embrace the Sunshine that is Duma, everyone would be happier.  :D

Hell yeah and the game would run so much better for everyone.

Played again last night.  I got some "awesome" pics for a new thread called "WTF Playstation :angry: " or something like that, but that free-for-all-to-play network is a complete snakepit.  I have run into individual hackers on XBL, and I ran into a couple of lobbies of super-fast-mode, but the shear number of hackers and hacked lobbies on PSN is unbelievable.

Didn't play on hardly any dedi's last night.  Odd in that there was also only about 86K players online, which is practically a new low.  I am wondering if a lot of folks don't already have BO3 and are play testing it currently?!  2 plus weeks out from launch, and a ton of players suspiciously absent, so maybe?!

In any event - still hating the PS3 and their network. 

Preview photo

Y1NDRxn.jpg

LOL yes JD there are lots of lobby's to sort thru on PS3,got into a couple last night got 30,000 point for each flag cap.We bailed as soon as we saw what was going on but couldn't just back out had to quit the game from the xbar and re start the game.

Welcome to the world of free to play,hacked gaming at it's finest.But I'd rather play on PS3 with the old titles than go back to PS4 with AW,also got ghosts on PS4 but just play it on PS3 and it runs smooth.I know you hate that game but I really enjoyed it,nothing crazy and no OP kill streaks.

Archived