Ethernet Cables

So I have been using cat 7 Ethernet cables for sometime now. I use them from my modem to the R1 and Xbox One to the R1 and I use the cat 6 included with the R1 between it and my router.

My question is should I use these or should I just stick to cat 6?

• Netduma Staff

This post here explains what you want to know I think the best!

It just says:

Cat7 is mostly pointless.
There are different classes of it, but even which translates to about 1250 Mega Bytes per second!

CAT5 supports up to roughly 125Mega Bytes per second but in reality in a home environment it would be nearly impossible to find hardware to talk to each other that fast.

The BOTTLENECK is always the slowest component whether it's the Router, PC or other media device.

So CAT5 is more than enough for most people but if you're concerned at all for "future proofing" especially if it's a hassle to install then just get quality CAT6 Ethernet cabling.

To answer your question, for home use, either cable would be fine. I suppose if you want to seriously 'future proof' your home then go with CAT 7. They are fully backwards compatible with CAT 5 and CAT 6 so apart from cost, you don't reality lose anything from using them, saying that, at the moment you don't gain anything either unless you have VERY fast internet!

Hope this helps :)

This post here explains what you want to know I think the best!

It just says:

To answer your question, for home use, either cable would be fine. I suppose if you want to seriously 'future proof' your home then go with CAT 7. They are fully backwards compatible with CAT 5 and CAT 6 so apart from cost, you don't reality lose anything from using them, saying that, at the moment you don't gain anything either unless you have VERY fast internet!

Hope this helps :)

Yep that is what I was looking for bro. Thank you! :D

Archived