Is the netduma r3 compatible with fiber optic internet?

Ive recently switched to fiber optic internet & was given what i expect to be a modem/router combo (nokia brand) from tmobile. I told them i want to keep using my netduma r3 obviously for gaming purposes. They hooked their nokia up to my R3 via ethernet. Now when playing on xbox i have strict & moderate nat types when directly wired through ethernet from the R3 to my xbox.

if i unplug ethernet from my xbox i see 2 different networks. Their nokia & my netduma. I can play on my netduma via wifi but that defeats the purpose as i like to game on ethernet connection because its more reliable & faster.

Also, i should be getting 1000mb up & downlaod speeds but my xbox is only achieving 200-300 mb & 50ping no matter how its connected at the moment.

How can i fix the nat type issue? Is the r3 not compatible with fiber optic set ups? Do they need to just give me a different modem? They told me on the phone to hook up the fiber optic cable directly to the R3 but theres no port for that & R3 is just a router not a gateway combo correct? 

any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

• Administrators

Set up the ISP modem/router so that it is in bridge or modem mode, you can also use the DMZ. Copy the WAN IP from the R3 (found in Settings > WAN) and enter it into the DMZ function on the ISP modem/router. You should get an Open NAT then.

Are ALL devices connected to the R3? Have you entered the speeds you expect/pay for in the R3? What do other devices get via ethernet to speedtest.net? Console speeds are generally an estimate so if you're receiving good speed on another wired device the Xbox will likely be receiving that to and when you do a download on it for example it would run at the expected speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i have since had a technician come out & the only thing they did was turn off the WLAN on the modem/router they provided me & left my NetDuma R3 connected to it with an ethernet cable. They said doing that is the same thing as putting it in “bridge mode”. 

Even after doing that im still having the same issue. Lower speeds (200-300mbps) & My xbox is still detecting double NAT when wired with ethernet from the R3. It is sometimes strict then moderate but never open. The only time it is open is when I’m connected via Wi-Fi or ethernet to the modem they provided me. It is a Nokia wifi6 (beacon 10). Or via wifi to the NetDuma R3 (but i want to played wired obv).

Also, I did not know I could enter the speeds I am paying for into the R3. How do i do this? Yes my other devices are connected to the R3 via wifi & speeds do test slower. Theyve tested high only a few times. Speeds seem very inconsistent from the R3 all around. Like I said, I never had this issue with my previous modem & ISP, the R3 worked great so im suspecting its just their modem compatibility. The technician also mentioned that the ports on the R3 might need to be adjusted? 

your response is appreciated. Any further insight would be as well. Thanks!

edit: I have not tried the DMZ method you mentioned yet. I might give that a shot.

• Administrators

I'm sorry to say that it absolutely is not the same thing as bridge mode, all he did was disable the WiFi, it does not do anything to help the NAT situation which setting to an actual bridge mode would and that's why you're having the same issue.

From a little google it appears you may be able to access the Nokia user interface via https://www.webgui.nokiawifi.com/ using the credentials that should be printed on the sticker on the underside of the beacon. If you get in then you should be able to find bridge mode or at least the DMZ option. 

Click 'Speed Test' at the bottom of the left menu, then click Advanced on the window that appears and you can change it there. Putting the correct speeds here will help devices reach expected speeds. Ideally you need to have the beacon setup to pass all traffic unimpeded to the R3 which will help with the speeds. I have a feeling the technician has no idea what they're on about.