Bandwidth Cut in Half and DumaOS Webpage Issues w/ XR1000

Hello, first post here. Just picked up the XR1000 from Amazon on Prime day but have been looking into it for a while and was always interested in DumaOS stuff. I'll start with the main issue and elaborate as I get further into the post.

Main issue is my bandwidth seems to be cutting in half when doing speed tests through ethernet via the router. When I hook up the ethernet direct to the modem I get solid 1020 down and 40 up which is what I'm paying for so that's right, I'm on Spectrum Cable 1gig line. When the config screens pop up the first time you configure the XR1000 it actually auto detected the right speeds, but after the config completes and I run a speed test of my own at either DSL Reports or Speedtest.net I get in the 400-500 down range and 40 up. If I just simply plug in my old Netgear X4 the speeds go back to my 1000/40 like it should so the router is definitely the bottleneck at the moment and I'd like to figure it out before I just return it.

The other issue is all my DumaOS settings pages take a while to populate and load when I'm in the menu's. Sometimes even hanging with error saying I've disconnected from the router. I've cleared browser cache as some suggested on forums for that and it does fix that specific error but does not fix the slow laggy feeling setting pages. The speed test section of the settings also seems like it starts, but never does anything. I never see any results it just like returns back to its default state after some time. Is this normal behavior for the entire DumaOS to load slowly within the dashboard?

Things I've tried so far:

• Had a Spectrum tech here prior to realizing we were getting good speeds at the modem and everything with my service is working great. He was the one who did the test on the modem then test on the router to find out the router was causing slow downs.
  • Factory Reset the router and all settings are stock. QOS, Congestion Control all that is off.
  • Turned off Armor.
  • Updated to the latest hotfix firmware 1.0.0.74_1.0.63
  • Changed the ethernet cables as I had originally had flat Amazon CAT8 but heard they can cause issues with poor quality. So I swapped them with Home Depot round CAT6. Both the modem to router is new CAT6, and the Router to PC is same new CAT6.

Appreciate your time reading this, and any help you guys can give me.

• Administrators

What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and if applicable, how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the XR? E.g. XR in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode. Are ALL devices connected to the XR?

For the interface, make sure you're not using a browser based Adblocker/whitelist/disable for the interface page. Ensure the browser/you aren't forcing a connection to the interface via HTTPS.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and if applicable, how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the XR? E.g. XR in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode. Are ALL devices connected to the XR?

For the interface, make sure you're not using a browser based Adblocker/whitelist/disable for the interface page. Ensure the browser/you aren't forcing a connection to the interface via HTTPS.

Thanks for your reply.

As far as the modem. It's provided by Spectrum and it's called an ET2251 Docsis 3.1 Modem only. The tech told me this is already in bridge mode and passes everything through to the XR1000. So my network looks like this, Spectrum modem>XR1000>Everything Else. But I have connected my ethernet straight into that Spectrum modem basically bypassing the XR1000, and when I do that I get over 1 gig speeds and over 40 upload. As soon as I unplug and reboot that modem with the XR plugged in with totally stock XR1000 factory settings I am getting like 600 down and 40 up. So for some reason the router is not allowing me 400mb of the 1000 my modem is outputting. The only thing I touched after factory rebooting the XR1000 is to make sure the qos is set to "disable qos".

As far as the duma webpage issue, I think disabling uBlock Origin helped with the responsiveness of those web pages but I just went to run a connection test in there and it was able to run a test, then tried again a few minutes later and it did the same thing as before. It basically has loading icon next to the "run test" button and sits there spinning and eventually stopping showing no results on the graphs or anything. So it's really buggy feeling.

I can remedy this whole thing by plugging in my very old beat up router lol, but I spent a good amount of money on this one, so I'm hoping there is some setting or step I'm missing and can make this work just as well as my old one. My old one doesn't have any geofencing or ping assist options and that was the main reason for this buy but if I'm going to lose 25% bandwidth as a sacrifice idk if that seems right.

• Administrators

Are you using PPPoE/VLAN/DHCP Identifiers or IPv6? 

The speed test I believe is because the hardcoded server used for it has changed - there is an upcoming beta update that should resolve this but I don't have a date for it.

Sorry a bit of a network noob. But I believe my Spectrum provider is all DHCP, it's what the connection type says in status on Duma as well.

• Administrators

Okay that's all good, in WAN Settings set NAT to Open then see what speed you get please. If it doesn't increase DMZ your device then test then remove it from the DMZ, what was it then?

How did you disable QoS exactly was it from the Congestion Control menu :menu ?

Okay, I set the NAT to open and it did seem to speed things up. Getting 770 down now and 40 up. Compared to the 400-500 I was getting. Since it did increase should I still try the DMZ? Still down about 200mb from what my Modem was reading but getting closer lol.

Yeah, I disabled QoS via the congestion control panel and ticked the box there to disable it.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Atmo said:

Okay, I set the NAT to open and it did seem to speed things up. Getting 770 down now and 40 up. Compared to the 400-500 I was getting. Since it did increase should I still try the DMZ? Still down about 200mb from what my Modem was reading but getting closer lol.

Yeah, I disabled QoS via the congestion control panel and ticked the box there to disable it.

I would suggest trying it yes, just to check whether that 770 is your ceiling speed

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would suggest trying it yes, just to check whether that 770 is your ceiling speed

With DMZ I'm getting 660/40. So lost over 100mb now which seems higher than the margin for error as I know internet isn't always constant. Doesn't make any sense to me that a computer that's DMZ'd now would get less speeds? Isn't that backwards lol? It should be less stuff interfering with the bandwidth right since now it's bypassing a lot of security stuff?

Also want to add, when I run a Speedtest on my iPhone connected to the 5G I get 900/40. So why is the wifi giving me that but connected via ethernet is much slower? Just to reiterate, I have tried two different ethernet cables and same result. As well as now I've reset my Windows network settings to default in an attempt to make sure it wasn't something wrong there. Basically my PC is now the only thing not getting the full speed as it's the only thing using the ethernet.

To clarify, my Router and Modem are 8ft from the PC tower. The jumper from Modem to Router is a 3' CAT6 new, as well as a 7' CAT 6 new to PC. This seems like an ideal situation to me.

• Administrators

Yeah that doesn't make sense, overall that would indicate the PC itself isn't capable of reaching those speeds but is that the PC you used direct to the modem and got 1000Mbps?

Yeah this is the same PC I used to test the Modem at 1000/40. It was actually even more I had one test with Modem only at 1078 or something so almost 1100. Also again if I go back to my old router I will get those speeds so that's why this is frustrating, and I even did a factory restore on the router already too so idk what else I can really do besides either try a new unit or refund at this point. 🥲

• Administrators

Presumably then your ethernet card is capable of higher than 1Gbps so it will be a newer card so doesn't make much sense, I think it'll just be the maximum you can achieve through the router, I couldn't confidently say that a new one would give you any better results - you could try disabling the port scan/dos protection, that on occasion can raise the speeds. Other than that we do have the beta update upcoming but I don't have a date for that so you could miss your return/refund window waiting for it.