"DumaOS is not running!"

I upgraded my XR500 firmware and now when accessing the web interface I'm greeted with either a "DumaOS is not running!" message, or just this loading page the hangs forever:

image.png.10d3e8f089f40a04f7faaabf29f28680.png

I followed the instructions in this forum for upgrading the firmware, upgrading to the intermediary firmware version first which seemed to work fine, but then going from that to the new beta version, this has happened. I factory reset the device already and went through the initial setup but after that... right back to the described issue. What do I do? 

Hey Boss this happen to me you're going to need to factory rest it then try the steps again. If your standerd Factory rest isn't reseting then try the 30/30/30 rule. Press the reset button for 30 seconds, unplug the router from its power source for 30 seconds, then plug it in with the reset button depressed for another 30 seconds. Hope this helps.

23 minutes ago, Gerry Wood said:

Hey Boss this happen to me you're going to need to factory rest it then try it the steps again. If your standerd Factory rest isn't reseting the the 30/30/30 rule. Press the reset button for 30 seconds, unplug the router from its power source for 30 seconds, then plug it in with the reset button depressed for another 30 seconds. Hope this helps.

So hold the reset button, unplug the router for 30 seconds and pug it back in with the reset button pressed. Am I holding that reset button during that whole process? through all three steps?

Yes @jumpinggeminihold the reset button the whole time. The lights will flicker and stuff igorne that just do the 30/30/30 rule and after just let go. The lights will be flickering or even off but just wait until the light go back to normal idel. May take it 30 seconds or even 5 mins just trust the procces.

16 hours ago, Gerry Wood said:

Yes @jumpinggeminihold the reset button the whole time. The lights will flicker and stuff igorne that just do the 30/30/30 rule and after just let go. The lights will be flickering or even off but just wait until the light go back to normal idel. May take it 30 seconds or even 5 mins just trust the procces.

Okay so I’ve done this; the power light is blinking and both Ethernet lights are solid. No internet though (on my phone at the moment).

I’ve done this a couple times now and just ended up powering the router off and back on because the internet or wireless wouldn’t come back on its own (I waited for 15 minutes). This results in me going through the initial setup of the router and back to my original issue when duma os tries to load

• Administrators

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-Microsoft-Windows-Command-Prompt?article=000059634

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-Microsoft-Windows-Command-Prompt?article=000059634

I did try this and I fear I may be doing something wrong? In those instructions it states that once ready to push the installation file to the router, I have to reboot the device and wait for the orange power light to start blinking. The orange power light stays solid for me however up until it’s fully back up and running. I tried running the proper command iN CMD several times at various stages of it rebooting but it can’t seem to connect for whatever reason. I enabled TFTP services in programs and features so that isn’t the issue. I can ping my router fine after setting my static IP but tftp doesn’t want to cooperate… 

On 4/13/2024 at 1:26 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I find that one to be a bit hard to do sometimes, try nmrpflash as people have more luck with that

This worked!! Thank you so much. I was afraid I was going to have to drop a lot of money for a new router.

For anyone in the future researching this issue, I used the following two resources (a youtube video on nmrpflash and a github thread when I ran into an issue with it not connecting):

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/issues/11

Basically if you try to use nmrpflash and get the "No response after 60 seconds. Bailing out." issue, you need to turn the router off, run the command detailed in the video to which you will get "Waiting for Ethernet connection (Ctrl-C to skip).", and then turn the router back on. It will connect upon reboot and push the firmware to your router.

Thanks again guys!

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, jumpinggemini said:

This worked!! Thank you so much. I was afraid I was going to have to drop a lot of money for a new router.

For anyone in the future researching this issue, I used the following two resources (a youtube video on nmrpflash and a github thread when I ran into an issue with it not connecting):

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/issues/11

Basically if you try to use nmrpflash and get the "No response after 60 seconds. Bailing out." issue, you need to turn the router off, run the command detailed in the video to which you will get "Waiting for Ethernet connection (Ctrl-C to skip).", and then turn the router back on. It will connect upon reboot and push the firmware to your router.

Thanks again guys!

That's brilliant to hear and thanks for posting the resources/solution with it too!