Problems with new R3

Hello!

I've had the R3 for a month or two now and I've been having a few issues with it.  Before I start this router has so much potential.  The new interface is great and accessing it is significantly faster than the Netgear XR1000.  Also, I feel like the geofilter works better and the ping assist seems to really help.

One feature that was on the XR1000 that I wish was on the R3 is the ability to import a list of devices into device manager so you don't have to go through and rename each one individually.  Would save a ton of time setting it up.

Now,  Here are the issues I've having.  Will any of these be addressed in an upcoming firmware update?

1. Weak/inconsistent/unreliable Wifi and tons of WiFi disconnects on both bands - I have several smart plugs/switches and NEST cameras and almost every single one disconnects multiple times a day (I live in a townhouse so my house is not huge. None are more than 40 feet from the router and it's as centrally located as I can get it).  I work from home and my laptop will periodically disconnect for 60-90 seconds (this is much more random.  It might not happen for days or weeks and then it will happen multiple days in a row)
  2. Yesterday I had to reboot the router twice because the LAN ports had no connectivity (WiFi was still connected and working) 
  3. Ping Optimizer setup is a real pain in the buttocks.   It fails more often than it succeeds.
  4. The RGB lights will randomly get a mind of it's own and start doing random things and colors until a reboot

Obviously 1 & 2 are the big ones.  Are these known issues?  Is there an issue with my router?  Are there plans to make improvements in those areas with firmware updates?  If so is there an ETA on when the update will be available?

Also, are there any hardwired WiFi range extenders or access points that would work seamlessly with the R3?

Thanks!

I’ve tried loads of extenders and only found this one to be reliable. It’s expensive but it works with no issues with my R3.

Shame anything connected to it doesn’t show up on the Duma OS, but not sure if that’s even possible?

RE815XE

AXE5400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6E Range Extender

https://amzn.eu/d/eu9k2vM

1 hour ago, BannedAirship said:

I’ve tried loads of extenders and only found this one to be reliable. It’s expensive but it works with no issues with my R3.

Shame anything connected to it doesn’t show up on the Duma OS, but not sure if that’s even possible?

RE815XE

AXE5400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6E Range Extender

https://amzn.eu/d/eu9k2vM

So this works seemingly?  There's no swapping Wi-Fi networks as you move through the house?

• Administrators

Thanks for the Device Manager request, I'll add it to the list.

For WiFi:

• Split the WiFi bands, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds (smart devices specifically seem to hate when the bands are together and may be they're disconnecting when it tries to auto switch to 5GHz so make sure to connect them to 2.4)
  • Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
  • Experiment with the widths to see what gives better results
  • Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  • Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

Disconnects and Ping Optimizer are being resolved in the next firmware. Haven't heard of that RGB issue - is there any pattern in traffic/settings changes etc that seems to affect this?

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the Device Manager request, I'll add it to the list.

For WiFi:

• Split the WiFi bands, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds (smart devices specifically seem to hate when the bands are together and may be they're disconnecting when it tries to auto switch to 5GHz so make sure to connect them to 2.4)
  • Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
  • Experiment with the widths to see what gives better results
  • Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  • Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

Disconnects and Ping Optimizer are being resolved in the next firmware. Haven't heard of that RGB issue - is there any pattern in traffic/settings changes etc that seems to affect this?

Hello,

• The bands are split already (I have devices that won't connect when there is only one SSID broadcast for both bands)
  • I will try that.  I have found it doesn't make much difference in the past
  • I'll give that a shot
  • It is 6' off the ground on a cabinet
  • The only thing that's close is a refrigerator
  • I will set them like that

Do you have any access points that might work seamlessly with the R3?

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No specific recommendations on APs, any should work really!

Do you have any personal favorites I can research? 

Admittedly my WIFI has never been great and it's most likely because I live in a congested area and I'm sure I could have benefited from an access point or two before this so I'm not super upset by having to get one.  However, I never had the disconnects that I've been having with this router.  Tons on the little IOT devices like switches, plugs, cameras, etc. which probably don't have very powerful antennas...

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, steelcity403 said:

Do you have any personal favorites I can research? 

Admittedly my WIFI has never been great and it's most likely because I live in a congested area and I'm sure I could have benefited from an access point or two before this so I'm not super upset by having to get one.  However, I never had the disconnects that I've been having with this router.  Tons on the little IOT devices like switches, plugs, cameras, etc. which probably don't have very powerful antennas...

I don't have any/haven't used any for a long time but if you still have the XR1000 you can put that in AP mode and that would be a good setup!

For anyone else that may be experiencing a similar situation with poor WiFi because of lots of interference from surrounding networks I went with a TP-Link Deco system and put it in AP mode.  Everything works perfectly and still allows me to use all the DumaOS features...