Trying to enable ipv6 on xr 1000 with starlink as my provider

Hi, i am days new into using starlink so i'm just finding my feet I have bypassed the Starlink router to use my own Nighthawk xr1000 but i'm struggling to setup ipv6 the options i have available are "auto detect, 6to4tunnel, passthrough, fixed, DHCP, PPPoE, Auto config, 6rd tunnel... Ithe only one i have some success with is passthrough but it makes my devices drop internet connection in seconds. When i chose auto configure ipv6 addresses are assigned but only for minutes and then gone again. Can anyone help direct me?

• Administrators

That's all you need, you don't need LAN IPv6 - LAN IPv6 is just a way to assign local private addresses to devices so IPv4 is fine for that. If you then do an IPv6 test does it work?

I'll give the 6to4 an go then, auto detect puts it into passthrough mode which does give me an ipv6 address but it cycles in seconds so nothing wired or wireless remains connected. The starlink router is in bypass mode so it's just acting as a power source for the satellite.

Just plugged in my old Asus RT-AC86U put ipv6 on Native connection DHCP-PD Enabled, stateless configuration and auto DNS server setting and ipv6 is working absolutely fine

• Administrators

Make the IPv6 work then grab the logs from the System Information page when it stops working please and I can see if there is anything in there that points to the issue

i've tried for hours to replicate it with no luck. i came across this though i didn'y know if it might be useful..

"Starlink uses DHCP for IPv4 and SLAAC/DHCPv6-PD for IPv6 to assign the router or client connected directly to the Starlink terminal an address or prefix.

Starlink can only assign one IPv4 address per client. IPv6 capable routers will be delegated a /56 prefix for the router to manage."

• Administrators

So you couldn't even get it to start working again? Take the Starlink out of bypass mode, put the XR in its DMZ and see if it can more consistently get IPv6 then please

I don't believe i can get into the starlink router DMZ but overnight i tested 4 different routers.. 2 worked with ipv6 an 2 didnt.. the 2 that didnt are the XR1000 and R2... the XR1000 seems to assign itself an ipv6 address but doesnt assign an address to devices except on that one time where it did for 3 minutes and then dropped them and the R2 does absolutely nothing and gives me a strict nat type

• Administrators

So apparently the Auto Config option is SLAAC so I think it would be best to just try exclusively with this option. Select Use these DNS and also use the DHCP server option as well. Once you've set it all up reboot it from the interface and see if it works at all

• Administrators

There is no real reason it shouldn't be working, I doubt it would make a difference but could you disable QoS completely from the Congestion Control menu :menu and see if that helps please?

i saw that idea on another post where they disabled QoS and then ipv6 worked and they could enable QoS after.. unfortunately i tried that and it didnt work for me

So since your last message i unplugged the XR1000 for around 36 hours and just went back to using the starlink router for the time being but Netgear responded to the ticket i opened requesting pictures of the ipv6 settings.. so i replugged in the XR1000 and for some reason without adjusting any settings it has assigned ipv6 addresses to all my devices and hasnt dropped them for over 12 hours now..

• Administrators

That's great to hear, thanks for the update! Perhaps the connection needed time to know the XR would be a permanent addition, that can happen sometimes with certain ISPs