R3 WAN port "Internet Status" not staying "Online"

Tsar

18 minutes ago, Tsar said:

I'm not incredibly network-savvy so bear with me if I am skipping steps or miswording things.

No Problem 😉

Try the Steps out of my last Answer.

14 minutes ago, ChrisG82 said:

So please don’t USE the 192.168.100.1 for the R3.  I told you this before i know that 192.168.100.x is the subnet what your modem use. Simply und the default IP of R3 (192.168.77.1)!

One last attempt: Reset the R3 to factory settings while it is connected to the Asus (R3 WAN port to LAN port Asus). Then simply set up the R3. The R3 should automatically recognise that it is receiving Internet via DHCP.

Leave the LAN settings of the R3 as they are. Connect the PC to the R3 and set the LAN interface of the PC to DHCP!

I followed those steps one by one, and now the R3 has a stable connection it seems. I pinged 8.8.8.8 and it hasn't dropped. Now the question is how to make it my main router on my network haha. I'd rather not have it hooked up to my ASUS, but it's good to know the WAN port isn't bad.

Okay, so that means that everything is running smoothly with the setup (modem -> ASUS -> R3).

I would suggest observing the whole thing for a few hours and if it remains stable, we can assume that the R3 is not faulty.

Then you can simply disconnect the Asus and connect the R3 to the modem. Simply use the cable that came with the R3.

The important thing here is again modem -> WAN port R3

Leave the settings in the R3 as they are now. Do not change the settings on the PC either!

Maybe you can check which MAC address the ASUS has...

Maybe reboot both (Modem & R3) after the change…

Just now, ChrisG82 said:

Okay, so that means that everything is running smoothly with the setup (modem -> ASUS -> R3).

I would suggest observing the whole thing for a few hours and if it remains stable, we can assume that the R3 is not faulty.

Then you can simply disconnect the Asus and connect the R3 to the modem. Simply use the cable that came with the R3.

The important thing here is again modem -> WAN port R3

Leave the settings in the R3 as they are now. Do not change the settings on the PC either!

Maybe you can check which MAC address the ASUS has...

I tried that before with the MAC address of the ASUS and it didn't work, still had the same issue. It still hasn't dropped connection, as well. Not sure where the fault is, but it's good to know the unit itself isn't bricked.

25 minutes ago, ChrisG82 said:

Then try Modem —> R3 with no changes in the config…. Use the Cable that came with R3: Modem —> WAN Port R3 —> Reboot both

Nope, still the same issue.

Both rebooted, still doesn't maintain a stable connection with the modem. No changes in settings, using the CAT6 ethernet that came with the R3, into the WAN port of the R3. The R3 pulls a WAN IP from the modem that matches the public IP.

I could try changing the MAC address of the R3 to that of the ASUS, again. No idea where the issue would be unless my ISP is secretly MAC filtering or is unintentionally blocking the R3.

1 hour ago, Tsar said:

Nope, still the same issue.

Both rebooted, still doesn't maintain a stable connection with the modem. No changes in settings, using the CAT6 ethernet that came with the R3, into the WAN port of the R3. The R3 pulls a WAN IP from the modem that matches the public IP.

I could try changing the MAC address of the R3 to that of the ASUS, again. No idea where the issue would be unless my ISP is secretly MAC filtering or is unintentionally blocking the R3.

Same result with the MAC address of the ASUS entered into the R3's WAN settings. Doesn't maintain a stable connection with the modem. Could the router and modem not be compatible, or perhaps my ISP is somehow blocking the R3?

The modem is an Arris TM3402A with DOCSIS 3.1.

Just now, ChrisG82 said:

Do you have a simple small network switch that you can connect between the modem and the R3?

No, I do not. I feel like that shouldn't be necessary as the original set up with the ASUS and modem worked fine, and only the R3 is having compatibility issues with my modem.

No, this is not normally necessary. But you could have used it to see whether there is a technical hardware incompatibility between your modem and the R3. Or whether the R3 is also losing the connection via the switch.

Just now, ChrisG82 said:

No, this is not normally necessary. But you could have used it to see whether there is a technical hardware incompatibility between your modem and the R3. Or whether the R3 is also losing the connection via the switch.

I think using the modem > ASUS > R3 determined that the R3 is fine. I really have no other idea other than the modem and router just potentially being incompatible, which I didn't even know that was possible. Always assumed that as long as the two devices had an RJ45 ethernet connection, they were compatible.

5 minutes ago, Tsar said:

Always assumed that as long as the two devices had an RJ45 ethernet connection, they were compatible.

That should definitely be the normal case. I can't really grasp what's going wrong with your Modem/R3 at the moment either

1 minute ago, ChrisG82 said:

Look what i found: WAN Loss on ARRIS TM3402

I'm not sure the difference between TM3402 and TM3402A, and all the lights on the back of the modem as well as the front stay on, indicating a connection.

I see what you mean though with the potential for a faulty modem. Apparently these modems are known for having a voltage issue.

7 minutes ago, ChrisG82 said:

If we assume that the hardware is not defective, it could theoretically only be the software somewhere. Perhaps @Netduma Frasercan ask the development department about this.

I will resort back to my ASUS until then. In the mean time, I'll probably buy my own modem anyway so I don't have to deal with ISP old modems. I was only gonna use this one until I left the military in August, but I might as well have one to bring back with me when I move out of the barracks.

Good news!

I suppose it was the modem creating the issue, as now I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2000 installed, and the R3 is maintaining a stable connection.

I will create another topic if necessary for any further issues, but I am happy that the product is at not at fault. I look forward to more firmware updates from the Netduma team.

16 minutes ago, Tsar said:

Good news!

I suppose it was the modem creating the issue, as now I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2000 installed, and the R3 is maintaining a stable connection.

I will create another topic if necessary for any further issues, but I am happy that the product is at not at fault. I look forward to more firmware updates from the Netduma team.

Never mind, unfortunately. It seems once I start adjusting settings, the router begins the endless cycle of on/off internet status.

5 hours ago, Tsar said:

Never mind, unfortunately. It seems once I start adjusting settings, the router begins the endless cycle of on/off internet status.

Any ideas from anyone? I'm assuming this is a software issue and will be addressed in the next update? 

I would love to use this router, but it seems I simply can't. 

Just now, ChrisG82 said:

What settings did you change?

I turned off SmartBOOST, Geo-Latency, and Steady Ping. Immediately after, it started doing it again.

Tried factory resetting it, but now it's like it was before. Only can assume that the firmware is causing these features to trip in the WAN settings, or some other fault that I can't identify.

The strange thing about this story is that you also have the same problem with older firmware versions. There are also no similar reports here in the forum. According to what @Netduma Fraser was said yesterday, the new firmware version should be released very soon. Let's hope for the best.

Just to be clear: you haven't changed anything in the IP settings, have you?

Edited by ChrisG82

Just now, ChrisG82 said:

The strange thing about this story is that you also have the same problem with older firmware versions. There are also no similar reports here in the forum. According to what @Netduma Fraser was said yesterday, the new firmware version should be released very soon. Let's hope for the best.

I'll stand by for the new firmware, then. Maybe experiment with other firmwares I haven't yet tried in the mean time.

6 hours ago, ChrisG82 said:

Just to be clear: you haven't changed anything in the IP settings, have you?

No, I did not change any IP settings; LAN and WAN were untouched.