Bufferbloat download latency

Hello netduma team, 

Firstly, I wanted to thank yoh for you provided help in my previous post. 

Indeed it was the server once a few weeks later out of the sudden, the servers ran normally again and now slow server was detected on the ping heat map. 

I recently moved, have a Fibre 1000mbs/100mbs connection (fibre not anymore directly until the apartment, just until the house, or area). And can easily also reach this speeds.

But I was not happy anymore with the server performance and the matchmaking of Cod (who is 😅?) so I decided to give my xr500 another try to at least have a good ping, while always sweating 😂

Then I fall over a YouTube video for the perfect setup of Dumaos/XR routers and found the game changer. 

Yes I am no tech freak but I had the feeling that some packet bursts I had and weird situations in the game were related to the connection. For me a 1000mbs/100mbs connection does not make sense. I had the feeling the connection is not able to handle this high speeds. 

The person in the video explained and made a bufferbloat test,  I did the same, and my results were kind of a gamble, always different, reaching maximum the grade B in the bufferbloat  test of waveform.com with an download Latency under heavy load of 40ms, and around 4ms upload latency under load. 

So I set up the xr500, installed everything nice as tidy, but still even wits Qos 70/70 same results. 

So I limited the download and upload speed to 250mbs/100mbs in the configurator, and suddenly I had always at least an A in the bufferbloat test at waveform.com. With an average download latency of 14 ms and upload latency of 0 to 2 ms. 

Makes my theory sense? And what could I do to get rid of the 14ms? Would a dns address change to Google on the pc make a difference here or not really? 

Fact is and I learned it again.. Download speed is not everything 😂

Sorry for this huge wall of text, i will try to upload also some Screenshots later related to the results. 

Look forward to hearing back from you soon, 

Cheers, 

copacabanah

• Administrators

You're welcome!

You don't really need to limit the speeds in that way, you could just experiment with the Congestion Control percentages more and achieve the same results most likely. 70% is our recommended starting point but doesn't work for everyone. Is the 14ms just your normal average or average under load? DNS wouldn't make a difference.

Thank you for replying so fast, the 14ms is average was under load. 

Ouch, I just realized that I was making the test with the Congestion Control percentage with automatic enabled and not always.. I was wondering why the test was still showing up to 1000mbs download... Thats why adjusted the main download/upload speed at first place...

Amateurs at work 😅 I will run the test then again as soon as possible like you said, while experimenting with the percentage and always enabled to get the right results. 

Afterwards I will provide you then with propper screenshots as well. 

Thank you for your support and have a great rest of your day!