Horrible. Is there a reliable alternative to the nighthawk routers?

Ive owned the xr450 and currently the xr500. XR450 lasted less than 2 years and bricked somehow, and now the xr500 is not even 2 years old and started randomly rebooting itself several weeks ago and reboots a handful of times per week. Purchased a replacement power cord but still reboots. Tried different outlets but still reboots. Have factory reset it plenty of times and still reboots. Any good alternatives to these routers since I wont be buying another netgear nighthawk again?

• jayyy changed the title to Horrible. Is there a reliable alternative to the nighthawk routers?
  • Administrators

I'm not sure what firmware version your XR500 is on but if you're not on it then I'd suggest trying the beta we've posted on the forum. Otherwise it may be a good idea to try to re-upgrade using TFTP which bypasses the boot process and any issues there. If you're wanting DumaOS still then we have recently launched our R3 router which the software and hardware is entirely done by us.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not sure what firmware version your XR500 is on but if you're not on it then I'd suggest trying the beta we've posted on the forum. Otherwise it may be a good idea to try to re-upgrade using TFTP which bypasses the boot process and any issues there. If you're wanting DumaOS still then we have recently launched our R3 router which the software and hardware is entirely done by us.

Does the final version end in 33-rc14? Do you recommend a reset of the router after firmware update? When I go to QOS, a prompt comes up that says 'no device found' and the section on bottom left just shows a spinning blue wheel and I can't add any devices but this has been like that for a while now even after resetting several times. How do I fix that?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, jayyy said:

Does the final version end in 33-rc14? Do you recommend a reset of the router after firmware update? When I go to QOS, a prompt comes up that says 'no device found' and the section on bottom left just shows a spinning blue wheel and I can't add any devices but this has been like that for a while now even after resetting several times. How do I fix that?

Yes RC14 is the one. Generally I would recommend factory resetting after the update which would also fix the issue you mentioned there.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes RC14 is the one. Generally I would recommend factory resetting after the update which would also fix the issue you mentioned there.

Okay ill do that tonight. I've reset several times before and didn't fix the QOS deal so hopefully will this time. Also, several hours after updating the firmware it reboot itself again.....

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Okay ill do that tonight. I've reset several times before and didn't fix the QOS deal so hopefully will this time. Also, several hours after updating the firmware it reboot itself again.....

Also, am I suppose to be able to connect dumaos android app to router cause the app just doesn't boot up or cannot find router?

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay keeps us updated. You should be able to yes but uninstall the app then re-install it and see if it works then please

So far so good now. QOS and traffic prioritization seems to be working normal now. No random reboots yet  but time will tell. Still can't open app on Samsung s23 ultra......even after reinstalling numerous times and even restarting the phone....

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Good to hear! What app version are you on? You should be able to check on the phone settings or the app store for it

1.2.10.   The web version on phone is cool when I login that way but the app just doesn't wanna launch. 

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That is the correct version, what XR firmware version are you on, are you using the beta? I think you may need to for the app to work correctly.

I'm on rc14