Eero Pro 6E and R3

oldman66

I bought the R3 mainly for the Geo-Filter so that I can host games with my friends on the west coast and connect to servers in the middle so we can all have good pings while playing and so far so good, when it's working it works great.  

we have gig fiber speeds are roughly 990down/995up on average on most tests straight from the Eero<unmanaged switch<ethernet to my PC (entire house is CAT6E) 

Here is my question, can I put the Eero in front of the R3 to use as my router and then add the R3 to DMZ to control just my PC to use Geofilter?  Does this make sense?  

I have 60+ wireless smart devices/TV's/Alexa's/Alarm system and 6 cameras etc. and I am not 100% confident that the R3 is designed to handle this size network and it's going to only grow as I add more smart devices to my home.  

I have it set up currently ethernet from ISP<R3<ethernet to my PC from R3<Ethernet from R3 to Eero(in Bridge mode)<Ethernet from R3 to unmanaged switch where my hardwired rooms connect. 

Even with Smartboost turned off I am seeing issues with devices having slow speeds upstairs that are connecting to the Eero (I have 3 Eero pro 6's to cover the house and backyard) where before the R3 was added to the network I had zero issues at anytime of day.  It's not traffic based as we live in a small town and not very many people have the gig fiber here yet and talking with my ISP they have not seen any heavy traffic issues on the network. 

Any and all suggestions wold be appreciated.  Hope this makes sense as I am an old man who is as ADD as they come lol and I type how the thoughts enter my scatter brain. 🙂  

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

You can absolutely set it up the way you described and the Geo-Filter will still work well!

Thank you for the fast response, will set it up and test this out.  So in theory I can just utilize this as my own personal router is what I am aiming for so I don't affect the rest of the household while I am gaming, nobody has complained as they are clueless lol 

Will report back after I get it setup and tested to see if this setup is as good or better than now. 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:06 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

You can absolutely set it up the way you described and the Geo-Filter will still work well!

Fraser,

I am editing as I am now testing the new firmware since it stated updates to heavy usage and also changed how I have my network set up. 

I now have the fiber coming into the R3>Eero in DMZ>eero to switch to handle network outside of my PC and my PC directly hardwired into the R3.  So far prelimanary testing is much more favorable so will keep you posted but after 3 hours seems to be working great.