AdBlock on AppleTV

Hi All,

Apologies If this has been mentioned before. I couldn't find anything on the forum about it. I'm using the adblock settings on the netduma routers but it doesnt seem to block ads on the apple tv. Should it be blocking ads on apple tv or is this not possible due to apples supposedly superiority ecosystem of a product.

Many Thanks,

Mike C

• Administrators

The ads you're referring to are they just when browsing or prior to watching something? If it's when watching then it's unlikely it will successfully block. Those kinds of ads are quite difficult to block - basically they're served on the same domain as the program/film so it makes it hard for the router to discern which is which. It's something we're keen to workaround but it's not a quick fix.

Hi Frazer Thanks for getting back to me. Yes indeed its the ads at the start of content like on youtube or itv hub that i'm trying to block on appletv. Thanks for the information provided. I have read somewhere else that running a VPN and setting it to Albania server can remove ads so i may have to try this once the vpn service goes live on the R3.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, 999Call said:

Hi Frazer Thanks for getting back to me. Yes indeed its the ads at the start of content like on youtube or itv hub that i'm trying to block on appletv. Thanks for the information provided. I have read somewhere else that running a VPN and setting it to Albania server can remove ads so i may have to try this once the vpn service goes live on the R3.

You're welcome. That would be interesting to know, do keep us posted once you can try it.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Wanted to give an update on my experience using AppleTv with a VPN. I've not used the VPN function on the router because NordVPN was added to apple tv natively on the hardware. So for anyone wondering if Setting a VPN to Albania will block YouTube ads on apple tv. Yes it will. Works Great.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2024 at 3:59 AM, 999Call said:

Hi All

Wanted to give an update on my experience using AppleTv with a VPN. I've not used the VPN function on the router because NordVPN was added to apple tv natively on the hardware. So for anyone wondering if Setting a VPN to Albania will block YouTube ads on apple tv. Yes it will. Works Great.

Thank you so much. Just used Albania with NordVPN and it blocks YouTube ads on ATV.