PPPoE noob question for R3

ZanVog

Hi to forum again. I have a noob question.

What is better to do with pppoe setup for the R3.

Now I m running the R3 with just the wizard factory setup. It's says internet found and it seems it's just fine and working.

Is it better to run some different settings with bridge etc etc or this is the best I can do?

If is there some instructions how to properly setup a pppoe connection it would be perfect. I have the provider codes so this is not gonna be prob.

Thnx in advance! 

(Sorry for my bad English it's not my first language 🙂)

• Administrators

If your ISP modem/router has WiFi, set it up so that it is in bridge or modem mode, you can also use the DMZ. Copy the WAN IP from the R3 (found in Settings > WAN) and enter it into the DMZ function on the ISP modem/router. Otherwise if you're replacing the ISP modem/router and it is possible to do so then use PPPoE. You only need to do one or the other.

Thnx for the answer.

Unfortunate my ISP modem/router, from fritz 5530, doesn't support, bridge mode or DMZ.

It only has pppoe passthrough.

So finally what I have done is, to disable wifi from Fritz, and enable pppoe passthrough.

Is it something else I should do to the R3?

Just as well could you ' Netduma Fraser ' answer this question of my, so from the answer above the R3 could connect to the openreach  FTTP modem straight without the Fritz Router! 

Using the R3 with PPOE user name and password from the isp ? Could it change the usual 192.168.77.1 to anything like 192.168.10.1 instead?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Tailingu said:

Just as well could you ' Netduma Fraser ' answer this question of my, so from the answer above the R3 could connect to the openreach  FTTP modem straight without the Fritz Router! 

Using the R3 with PPOE user name and password from the isp ? Could it change the usual 192.168.77.1 to anything like 192.168.10.1 instead?

If you can connect it via ethernet then yes you can do that. If you require PPPoE then yes you would then need to enter those details into the R3 to get a connection.

Yes you can change the LAN IP of the router to that if you wish.

Thanks a lot for the interest an the answers! Nice community!

Maybe I wasn't very clear with what my problem is.

My main prob is if I'm not doing everything ok with the results I get.

To start with.

I have internet and everything seems to work ok with R3. I have a fiber connection, 1000 down 100 up. With my fritz router I get 1025down and 105up.

What I did.

Turn off my fritz WiFi. Then from my 2.5 out lan1 I connect my R3 to wan. All devices are connected to R3 and nothing to Fritz.

Then I do the factory wizard from R3 (.23 version). And from the scan for internet it says "internet found" etc etc.

Everything works ok and with R3 I get 938down and 105up. I know 938 is ok for speed cause the wan import is 1gb. My PC lan import is 2.5 so I can get the max from fritz speeds. 

My question is, with that I have done is everything ok and works perfect or am I missing something that I don't know.

I have read the community threads for the geo filters  and the steady ping issues, I also have them, but we know, it's a new product and the best thing to do, is giving feedbacks and waiting for the updates.

Again thnx a lot for the interest and sorry for my bad English 🙂.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you can connect it via ethernet then yes you can do that. If you require PPPoE then yes you would then need to enter those details into the R3 to get a connection.

Yes you can change the LAN IP of the router to that if you wish.

Thanks for the answer, I will give it a try out and post it back here! that's should sorted the dilemma with R3 and UniFi dream Machine that I have .