[XR1000 Fw: 1.0.0.64] Has anyone else experienced issues with USB storage where smb access will start requiring a user name and password after a few weeks of use?

One issue that I have encountered with the XR1000 (V1 hardware), is that when using USB storage, after a random amount of time (usually a few weeks, the USB storage will stop functioning properly where all devices will be prompted for a user name and password even though password protection is not enabled for local access. Furthermore, the admin username and password will not work for accessing the storage when the issue happens. Instead the only workaround is to either restart the router or disconnect the USB drive and then reconnect it to the router, which restores normal access to the SMB share.

The USB drive being used is a 2TB WD My Passport USB 3.0 external hard drive; Part number: WDBYFT0020BBK-0A.The drive does not have this issue on other routers with similar hardware. For example it works error-free with the Netgear RAX50 which has similar specs.

Overall it is a very strange issue

Aside from that, it seems the VPN server has an issue where even when set to allow access to websites, web pages will not load.

Hello install XR1000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.68 
its rule for USB problems

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where Armor is not stable.
  • Fixes the issue where you cannot not access a USB drive that is connected to the router by clicking the http://readyshare.routerlogin.net/share link from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the router network.
  • Fixes the issue where you cannot log in to the router through the router web interface.
  • Fixes the issue where the router web interface is not accessible when you configure the XR1000 in AP mode.

image.png.2db12526d58e6b90b6d639b1a43801d1.png

Currently testing 1.0.0.68. So far it is too soon to tell if the smb issue is fixed when it comes to accessing the network folder as well as streaming media player devices such as the fire TV cube using VLC to stream from the USB storage, I was able to do testing with the VPN server.

So far the VPN issue still remains where local recourses can be accessed though LAN side recourses over the VPN server have very low throughout (less than 1Mbps). With the RAX50, it will do about 15mbps download (router uploading data to the VPN client device).

I the case of the XR1000, the CPU usage remains very low as usual with cores 1 and 2 at around 20% and core 3 being at around 0 to 2% at nearly all times (though the 3rd core is almost always left idle on the XR1000).

Overall, I am unsure of what is causing the VPN server bottleneck.