How to setup R3

Suffy1570

Hi, I just received my R3 and need help with setup. I am with EE broadband fibre and have a  smart hub and modem. Should the R3 replace the smart hub and connect to the modem or should the R3 be connected to the smart hub?

many thanks

I have just tried connecting directly to the modem and the R3 setup didn’t automatically detect internet connection. I see a advanced wan settings option but not sure on network type and following information.

• Administrators
Just now, Suffy1570 said:

I have just tried connecting directly to the modem and the R3 setup didn’t automatically detect internet connection. I see a advanced wan settings option but not sure on network type and following information.

Might be that the Smart Hub is required by your ISP or that you need other details to connect which you may not have. Connect back the hub then connect the R3 to that and restart the setup

I ran into a problem trying this as after skipping through the setup I just get this screen with an endless loading circle. Would it be worth setting it up the other way connected to my current router and then trying to change the settings once it is setup?

image.thumb.jpg.ed16637b6195f9b6d3dd431bfc92c8b5.jpg

Thanks for your help

I have been able to get it working Modem > R3, and Modem > EE Smart Hub Plus > R3 but both have their own issues so not sure which direction to take.

My ISP is EE and the package is a 900 download, 110 upload.

With Modem > R3, I only get a maximum 50% download speed, this may be a EE problem as I have seen other people mention similar issues when using third party routers on 900Mbps connection only getting 500-600Mbps, mine seems to max at around 450Mbps when connected Modem > R3. Are there any settings I can try on the R3 to try and get the speed correct?

With Modem > EE Smart Hub Plus > R3, I get the full download speed but can't get IPV6 working and can't get Open NAT on call of duty on PC which was Open on the EE Smart Hub. I have the R3 WAN IP in the EE Smart Hub Plus DMZ and set to static IP. I have tried testing NAT with Geo Filter turned off, my PC in the R3's DMZ to rule out any port forwarding issues, and turned windows firewall off and still can't get Open NAT on call of duty on PC. As for the IPV6 problem, I have screenshots of the EE Smart Hub Plus config settings I can post to see if you think any of them can resolve it or are there settings on the R3 I need to change to get IPV6 working?

• Administrators

The first setup the reduced speeds will be to do with PPPoE, we think we can increase that though so we'll be working on that.

If you could provide the hub settings pictures that would be really helpful. Are there any other settings on the Hub that could be disabled? Are you able to put it in modem or bridge mode instead?

I noticed that too, I think it changed after factory resetting the smart hub. After rebooting both how you suggested the R3 is still showing as host_1 on the smart hub and IPv6 is still not working. You mentioned you think you can resolve the PPPoE speed issue, do you have any idea when that will be as I think that will resolve the rest of these issues.