Problem with QoS Nighthawk XR450

I purchased this router in 2018, and it has been performing well so far. Previously, I had no issues streaming Netflix on two Smart TVs while simultaneously playing games like Call of Duty or FIFA. However, after a recent update, I have encountered some problems.
The problem is that when I am playing EAFC24, if someone starts streaming Netflix on the Smart TV, the router allocates all the bandwidth to the TV, causing lag in the game. However, when the Smart TV is turned off, I can play with a ping of 50 without any problems. I have attempted to fix the issue by configuring the QoS to prioritize my PS5, but it seems to be ineffective with the new QoS update. The only way to play games without lag and allow others in the house to watch Netflix is to activate a feature called "download share excess." However, this is really inconvenient because if I want to download something on my phone, I only get the 5 Mbps that I set in the QoS, and not all the bandwidth when I'm not playing, so I have to disable the feature.

Is there a way to solve this issue without toggling "share excess" on and off?

In 2020, I was able to configure the QoS without any issues. However, I recently noticed that I need to configure additional applications such as media, VPN, gaming, etc., along with my devices connected to the Wi-Fi. This seems to be a new feature as I did not have to configure any of this before. Previously, I only had to connect the PlayStation or PC that I wanted to use, and the router would handle everything else. On the other hand, the router is unable to recognize new devices, so I have to do a factory reset to see if that would work, but it doesn't recognize anything. I have to manually input the name and type of devices.

QOS 3.PNG

QOS 2.PNG

QOS.PNG

• Administrators

Ah I see. You don't need to configure any of those options at all, you can reset Bandwidth Allocation in most cases. Switch back to devices and leave it at the default options.

What devices are you trying to connect? Are they connected directly to the XR or through a switch/AP etc?

We usually suggest putting Congestion Control at 70% for both download/upload to start with and then experimenting from there to find what works best so go to that value, test if the issue happens then adjust, test, adjust etc.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try to configure my devices to see if it resolves the issue. I have a question regarding the "share excess" option. Do I need to activate it or not? I'm concerned that if I don't apply this option, my phone's bandwidth will be limited to only 5 MB. Currently, all my devices are connected to the XR router via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable. However, I'm having trouble understanding why newly connected devices such as phones are appearing as "unnamed devices."

• Administrators

I would keep Share Excess enabled for now and experiment with Congestion Control as that should resolve the issue without limiting devices to a small amount of bandwidth.

Phones use Private/Randomized MAC addresses which make them appear as a new device every time they connect. You can disable this on the phone itself and that will stop it.