VPN, Geo Fence or Both?

Tommo1987

Hi Everyone,

I have been using the Hybrid VPN set up through my XR500 on PS5 and opened the relevant ports 3074, 443, 1:65535 and the main thing that i notice is that when a server becomes available it will throw you in, therefore searching for matches feels much quicker.

Without a VPN, the match search takes longer. Is this because its prioritising connection or is that SBMM kicking in? Its all up for debate but i know my thoughts.

One question i do have though, is am i setting everything up correctly?

In the past i have just copy and pasted the VPN config for India/Egypt into Hybrid VPN & disable Geo Filter. I find games quickly and connection is good 90% of the time.

IF i set my geo fence to my home (UK), and use a VPN config from San Francisco for example, will this make the whole process more efficient or is it just adding in an extra step with little difference?

• Administrators

If you're using a VPN and the Geo-Filter together but they're forcing different areas you probably won't get a game at all. Best to use them together to get the best chance of forcing the server you want. Depending on how big your Geo-Filter radius is and how many servers it covers will determine how quickly you get a game, the fewer servers covered the longer it's likely to take as you're being very restrictive.

5 hours ago, Tommo1987 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have been using the Hybrid VPN set up through my XR500 on PS5 and opened the relevant ports 3074, 443, 1:65535 and the main thing that i notice is that when a server becomes available it will throw you in, therefore searching for matches feels much quicker.

Without a VPN, the match search takes longer. Is this because its prioritising connection or is that SBMM kicking in? Its all up for debate but i know my thoughts.

One question i do have though, is am i setting everything up correctly?

In the past i have just copy and pasted the VPN config for India/Egypt into Hybrid VPN & disable Geo Filter. I find games quickly and connection is good 90% of the time.

IF i set my geo fence to my home (UK), and use a VPN config from San Francisco for example, will this make the whole process more efficient or is it just adding in an extra step with little difference?

Yeah, that's pretty much what is do.... VPN ports 3074, 443 and geo fence the lowest ping servers. Some people say they have a better experience geo fencing servers with a higher ping due to LCE but I haven't experienced this.

15 hours ago, jonnyg56 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what is do.... VPN ports 3074, 443 and geo fence the lowest ping servers. Some people say they have a better experience geo fencing servers with a higher ping due to LCE but I haven't experienced this.

Out of interest do you choose a Vpn location based on the time of day in that location or just use the favoured India/Egypt ones?

4 hours ago, Tommo1987 said:

Out of interest do you choose a Vpn location based on the time of day in that location or just use the favoured India/Egypt ones?

I choose locations where the time is early morning 3am but don't expect bot lobbies, them days have gone.... Some locations do seem to provide better results than others though. 

2 hours ago, jonnyg56 said:

I choose locations where the time is early morning 3am but don't expect bot lobbies, them days have gone.... Some locations do seem to provide better results than others though. 

Oh yeh I agree about the bot lobby thing. Found my mw3 multiplayer experience to be decent since setting the vpn/geo this way.

So….I’ve been geo fencing just UK servers in Warzone and turned strict mode on. Sometimes I get 20 ping lobbies but other time it’s 30 ping plus.

I thought the ring fence would mean it would force the severs in the geo fence and therefore in reality all lobbies should be the 20 ping lobby?

If anybody could clarify that would be much appreciated.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Tommo1987 said:

So….I’ve been geo fencing just UK servers in Warzone and turned strict mode on. Sometimes I get 20 ping lobbies but other time it’s 30 ping plus.

I thought the ring fence would mean it would force the severs in the geo fence and therefore in reality all lobbies should be the 20 ping lobby?

If anybody could clarify that would be much appreciated.

They will all be in your radius yes but that doesn't guarantee they'll necessarily be under a certain ping. There are many servers clustered in the same location so they could produce different pings.

It's also possible it is mislocated on the map, if you provide the ID for the 30ms server we can check it and move it if necessary.