I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or not

TheMW2Ghost

Hi,

I seem to be having some hiccups with the R2 / DumaOS. I'm in London, UK, playing on Xbox Series X, wired into the R2, and playing Battlefield  - and it just seems as though I'm not always being put in the lobbies/ping threshold that I have selected in my Geo Filter. For example, i have relatively good speeds (500UP 70DOWN) in general, and choose 1000Miles radius from my home point (IMAGE 1) - and then i choose 30ms Ping Assist - it puts me in lobbies with less than 30ms, that's fine. Though when my friend from USA joins my xbox party and game lobby to play, sometimes it loads the match, but kicks me back into the lobby, but let's him still play. When it does this, sometimes i turn Ping Assist to 0, and it seems to sometimes work then and let us  both play but it's a bit hit and miss, as sometimes i have to Polygon draw over some states around him in USA, then i appear to get 77ms and he gets around 60ms, signifying that i am indeed playing somewhere in USA.

IMAGE 1 image.thumb.png.f36a7993262f5f761abaea1a569a7832.png

Though as test, i drew a polygon around South America (IMAGE 2), and loaded a game, yet we both somehow was on only 70ms ping each - yet on the box showing the ping and stats in the below image, the ping says "181ms" - which you would expect - yet we was only getting around 70ms each - so was i even in that server? you can see the white icon/server icon.

IMAGE 2 Screenshot2023-10-31at01_42_13.thumb.png.f9021e6bcd200b44b1182dc81ad9b40d.png

This same thing happened in Black Ops Cold War, when i played on my own. I had my ping set to 12ms, 20ms, and 30ms different times, but the game put me in a lobby with 56ms ping - even tho the ping stat showed around 6-12ms. So I'm kinda confused and am not sure if im actually getting into lobbies via the Geo-Filter or if im just getting put into lobbies at random.

Note: I have a Virgin router - and have the R2 plugged from R2 Internet > Virgin router LAN.

Hope someone can hlep, I'm happy to explain more/better and take any steps needed.

Thank you!

• Administrators

I would suggest setting Ping Assist to 0, it is an assist not a hard limit so it can allow you to have servers slightly higher, by using the radius exclusively you'll ensure connections to servers close to you which should give a low ping.

It appears you manually pinged a server which is for IPv6/authentication so I don't think that will actually be the game server. Best to leave Auto Ping enabled as that will always automatically ping your game server and that is then the only ping you need to worry about.

Add your friend to your allow list so you can connect to them regardless of your settings if you haven't done so already. 

Some games may split the party rather than throw you both back to the lobby if one person can't connect to the server. If that's the case in this scenario then there isn't anything we can do about it unfortunately - your friend would have to have an R2 as well to mirror your Geo-Filter settings to ensure you get into the same games.

Hey Fraser. 

Okay - so 1st: I'll keep Ping Assist at 0, and Auto Ping Host on for now then. Should I have these set the same even If im playing on my own/another game. and also have Strict Mode and Fast mode off or on? I thought I was supposed to use the Ping Assist value to ensure I didn't get in any servers above that ping.

2: I meant to ask this, How do I actually Add my friend to allowed list? Like, how do I now what my friend is when looking at the OS - he's getting his R2 soon, so for now, how am I able to see what he appears as in DumaOS - as I don't always see a 'Player' icon appear on the Geo Filter map in his region (USA/Alabama). Is it the Host Type that says 'Peer' - as that does appear in the ping section when he is joining me/in my party - i assumed that was him, so i clicked allow (i cant click on the ping info on this when ive got Auto Ping Host turned off but its the top one in the below image.

image.thumb.png.76892350c07081f4d29d051bd32859ca.png

Lastly, how do I know which is the server that I am connecting to when looking at the OS - as somtimes there is a server RIGHT on my location, but another one away from me but still in my circle - I'm trying to figure what it is telling me - just servers near me, or which one i am actually connecting to. Attached an image to show you what it looks like for me sometimes.

Not sure what player icon is on the left in USA, as my friend is in a complete different state, and i never see a player icon on his state when he plays with me. Pardon my baffling on, I'm just trying to get to grips with it all. 

Thanks again 

Screenshot2023-10-31at00_06_16.thumb.png.213a4441cbc9d8004634f09bdc0f5a3c.png

Thanks for you help

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, TheMW2Ghost said:

Hey Fraser. 

Okay - so 1st: I'll keep Ping Assist at 0, and Auto Ping Host on for now then. Should I have these set the same even If im playing on my own/another game. and also have Strict Mode and Fast mode off or on? I thought I was supposed to use the Ping Assist value to ensure I didn't get in any servers above that ping.

2: I meant to ask this, How do I actually Add my friend to allowed list? Like, how do I now what my friend is when looking at the OS - he's getting his R2 soon, so for now, how am I able to see what he appears as in DumaOS - as I don't always see a 'Player' icon appear on the Geo Filter map in his region (USA/Alabama). Is it the Host Type that says 'Peer' - as that does appear in the ping section when he is joining me/in my party - i assumed that was him, so i clicked allow (i cant click on the ping info on this when ive got Auto Ping Host turned off but its the top one in the below image.

Lastly, how do I know which is the server that I am connecting to when looking at the OS - as somtimes there is a server RIGHT on my location, but another one away from me but still in my circle - I'm trying to figure what it is telling me - just servers near me, or which one i am actually connecting to. Attached an image to show you what it looks like for me sometimes.

Not sure what player icon is on the left in USA, as my friend is in a complete different state, and i never see a player icon on his state when he plays with me. Pardon my baffling on, I'm just trying to get to grips with it all. 

To answer your questions:

1. Generally I would suggest leaving Ping Assist at 0, Auto Ping Host I would always leave on except in the instance where you'll add your friend to the allow list (more on that below). You can play around with the settings based on the game you're playing but that's what I would suggest overall. Strict Mode I would highly recommend you have always on and Fast mode have off. 
    The main feature is the radius/polygon mode, Ping Assist is an assist to these modes, the idea was so that you never miss the chance for a good game. However, it can lead to you getting a game above that ping sometimes. I would suggest utilizing Ping Heatmap to find the closest/lowest ping servers then setting your Geo-Filter radius accordingly. 
  2. Check the bottom of this guide for how to add your friend: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter  generally it'll show as a peer icon, basically best to just be in a lobby, then when you invite them it will be the only icon appearing on the map.
  3. The host you're playing on will always be the biggest icon on the map so in the above picture it's the big server icon. 

If I were you - entirely up to you, I would remove the servers from allow/deny - I'm not sure how you're using this - you don't need to allow/block every server you come across as the radius handles that. Just use it for particularly good/bad servers that you either wouldn't mind connecting to again or don't want to connect to again and for adding friends. Then do this:

• Quit the application/game/client completely
  • Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  • Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  • Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  • Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  • Wait 2 minutes
  • Boot up application/game/client

This will ensure it blocks most effectively when you launch the game. You don't need to do this every time but I would suggest doing it from the start.

Okay, I've done these settings you mentioned in the bottom of your post and did a Cloud Resync - then ill load up Battlefield when my friend is next on to see how that goes!

I will allow my friend when he shows as that peer/player icon and leave him as Allowed - as for servers - i was just playing around and Allowed a couple that showed low ping in OS - and in-game it was only a few ms higher than it displayed in the OS. Will take your advice on that though.

How to Allow a good connection / friend

1. To whitelist a friend or any other connection outside of your usual filter range, set your Filter to Spectating Mode in the top Device panel

I notice there is no long a 'spectate' mode - which is what the linked doucment refers me to to use when I'm trying to Allow a friend - so i take it i just turn OFF filtering mode to enable this now then? Next time my friend is here, ill turn off filtering, let him join, and then i guess his icon will pop up, so i can allow him and return back to filter mode? It says this for allow/deny servers too - so can i not allow/deny properly  when in Filter mode?

There currently isnt a ping map for Battlefield 2042, though i found this tweet from Netduma that shows ping heatmap for BF, so will adjust me geo filter for this, so long as they are still in the same location (im assuming the BF server will just ping on my Geo once i laod up the game anyway if im understanding thr OS correctly.

As for server icons - i just got confused with ones that are Allowed Servers (white ring around it) and Authentication Servers (also white ring around it) - assuming the "Allowed Server" means a server a have manually allowed, or if that actually means a forced allowed server due to it being an Authentication one.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, TheMW2Ghost said:

Okay, I've done these settings you mentioned in the bottom of your post and did a Cloud Resync - then ill load up Battlefield when my friend is next on to see how that goes!

I will allow my friend when he shows as that peer/player icon and leave him as Allowed - as for servers - i was just playing around and Allowed a couple that showed low ping in OS - and in-game it was only a few ms higher than it displayed in the OS. Will take your advice on that though.

I notice there is no long a 'spectate' mode - which is what the linked doucment refers me to to use when I'm trying to Allow a friend - so i take it i just turn OFF filtering mode to enable this now then? Next time my friend is here, ill turn off filtering, let him join, and then i guess his icon will pop up, so i can allow him and return back to filter mode? It says this for allow/deny servers too - so can i not allow/deny properly  when in Filter mode?

There currently isnt a ping map for Battlefield 2042, though i found this tweet from Netduma that shows ping heatmap for BF, so will adjust me geo filter for this, so long as they are still in the same location (im assuming the BF server will just ping on my Geo once i laod up the game anyway if im understanding thr OS correctly.

As for server icons - i just got confused with ones that are Allowed Servers (white ring around it) and Authentication Servers (also white ring around it) - assuming the "Allowed Server" means a server a have manually allowed, or if that actually means a forced allowed server due to it being an Authentication one.

Yes that's correct, just toggle filtering mode and you'll still be able to see connections you just won't filter them. You can allow/deny when in filtering mode, it's just suggested to disable for adding a friend so you don't block them before you've been able to allow them.

The servers may not necessarily all ping when you start the game, I think that's more of a CoD then but you will see the server when you connect to it. I can see about getting the game re-added to Heatmap.

So yes any server that has been permanently allowed either because you have added them to your allow list or we have permanently allowed it will appear with a solid white ring around it. Authentication servers should be easy to pick out once you've played a few times as they'll always been in the same location. For example for CoD, it's usually either in Ireland on LA.

OK I just tried the instructions to allow/deny a player - i invited two friends into my game lobby on Battlefield and no one actually popped up on the DumaOS - only the server that I'm playing on. There was no Player Icon, nor Peer connection in the Ping section

image.thumb.png.e66f51513211ae3d7eb1c70d9091352d.png

I did try this but still nothing happened - we're o our second game now and still i have not seen either of my 2 mates appear as a peer connection. We're in a game right now and i actually dont even have a server showing on the auto ping section.

Adding to this, the Authenticated server never actually shows in Ireland but rather in the spot on this screenshot. Nothing has ever showed in Ireland for me

image.thumb.png.00007d8e955ceb3032270302b0375d46.png

• Administrators

The Ireland example was for CoD, looks like it's elsewhere for BF. Looks like actually that you don't need to add your friends to your allow list, it appears to use a server for that type of connection instead. Auto Ping may be getting confused as there are the two servers being connected to. Uncheck Auto Ping and click the biggest server icon to ping.

Interesting. We were playing fine and it did end up showing the server in the auto ping section but it just didn't show him as peer for some reason. After i unselected filtering mode and auto ping - i invited my mate to my lobby - i was hosting - yet it put me in a seemingly NA server - as my latency in the is 82ms and his is much lower. Why is this happening?

image.thumb.png.cb6726901e2ff0df253952d7645edaee.png

image.thumb.png.fe0f929a06153f171c1060b9be76403d.png