Dreaded smarthub setup with R2

Dstrong91

Hi guys not sure I’ve put this in the correct category, if I have I will remove it.

I was using a very old Huawei HG612 modem which started overheating and it died, so I went through all the setup for the smarthub (getting WAN IP, DMZ mode, disabling SH WI-FI etc) getting solid speeds but when I’m setting up the QOS and using Auto-setup, it’s fighting really hard to bring the upload latency down. It was pretty stable on old modem but now the latency on the upload was going up to about 930ms haha, I’ve managed to bring it down but I feel like I’ve done something wrong somewhere.
I know the smarthub isn’t the most perfect thing to use with the R2 but if someone can tell me if I’ve missed something crucial inbetween? Do I keep the SH DHCP on or turn it off? Turn DMZ on, on the R2? Or master reset for the 3rd time and try again?

any recommendations would be great :)

thanks

• Administrators

What you've done is correct so that's fine, where are you measuring the upload latency exactly? Don't use Auto Setup, we're still improving that so may not always provide the best results. QoS needs to be fine tuned some more. It's best to start with a high value for Congestion Control (set to Always), say 95% then do a Connection Benchmark test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values. The goal is to get the Ping Under Load graph to look as much like the Ping Test graph as possible.

Thank you Fraser, oh I didn’t know the ‘auto-setup wasn’t white there yet but will give the incriments a try :) . The only other thing I’ve noticed this morning, when I go to device manager I’m getting what looks like an IPV6 address on the PS5?? Starts with fe80::, I’ve put the SH allocation to off and turned IPV6 WAN/LAN off on the R2 as well…reset both but PS5 is still picking this IPV6 address that doesn’t match anything on the SH..confused.

• Administrators
On 10/18/2023 at 12:03 PM, Dstrong91 said:

Thank you Fraser, oh I didn’t know the ‘auto-setup wasn’t white there yet but will give the incriments a try :) . The only other thing I’ve noticed this morning, when I go to device manager I’m getting what looks like an IPV6 address on the PS5?? Starts with fe80::, I’ve put the SH allocation to off and turned IPV6 WAN/LAN off on the R2 as well…reset both but PS5 is still picking this IPV6 address that doesn’t match anything on the SH..confused.

Yeah that's fine, it's just a link local IPv6 address, you can ignore it