[XR300] How to make streaming device (firestick) high priority device?

I have setup my network for a while and always ran into an issue where when someone is downloading patches which are quite large on a gaming console, I notice it causes a bit of buffering on my streaming device or low quality. I wanted to try to make the Firestick a high priority event instead of gaming, how would I go about doing that? I tried disabling the duma os classified gaming list and then adding the device and putting it as a service of games console, but that didn't seem to trigger the red light for high priority. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? 

P.S. Does anyone know when Duma 3.0 might be coming to this router,? It seems really cool! Thanks for any help!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

This scenario is exactly what Congestion Control/Anti-Bufferbloat was designed for, do you have this enabled at all? It depends what the ports the FireTV and the apps are using on it are but if you make an Advanced rule for it like this:

Source 1 - 65535
Destination 80 - 443
Protocol TCP/UDP

that should work but the game device may suffer so would be best to use Congestion Control/Anti-Bufferbloat instead.

No ETA on that, it is planned though.

Thank you for replying. I do have anti-BB enabled and down to 90% OF my down/up. However, if I'm understanding correctly, when high priority traffic is detected (gaming) it caps my bandwidth to 90 percent that can be used to download stuff.... But steaming isn't technically gaming and neither is downloading patches on console systems. So wouldn't that still cause buffering on either device leaving them fighting over priority since they are neither?

Also for the ports, I tried to look up the FireTV but there isn't any information as to what it uses, since I bet it's dependent on what app. Any reason why the destination would be 80 to 443, but the source is everything is open? 

Do i have to uncheck the classified games list before it will use my FireTV device, or can I leave both on there? 

• Administrators

If you have Anti-BB set to Always then it'll apply regardless to the type of traffic which sounds like what you need here.

You can't always be certain as to what the source ports will be but have a reasonable idea of what the destination ports are, could you change that to 80 - 1935 as that's more likely to work. 

You can leave both but Classified would pick up any gaming and prioritize it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I proceeded to do the ports like you said and it detects it now as high priority. Works great even though I do understand you're hinting more at using anti BB.

I'm sorry to ask you to repeat it cause I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how anti BB works. I know that if I set it to always, my total network bandwidth  gets lowered and capped at 90%. I know 10% is now reserved for gaming and only gaming. Do I understand that correctly? Even if streaming isn't high priority, and neither is downloading large game patches, won't it just be limiting my network for no one to use the extra 10%? I'm confused and not understanding how limiting my total bandwidth that I could use would fix the buffering while downloading, since anti BB would not activate on high priority, and even if it's on {always on} they are still seen as taking the same lane aren't they? Is there a write up that could help me understand how to use this tool effectively? 

• Administrators

On every panel on the interface you'll see a ? icon in the top right of the panel and this will give you extra information on how it works. In essence, bufferbloat only occurs when your connection is saturated i.e. all your bandwidth is being used. A download for example will always try to max out your bandwidth. By limiting your speed to 90% for example it prevents a download or anything else from maxing out your connection and therefore preventing bufferbloat/lag. That 10% isn't reserved for gaming specifically.