Device that isn't the device?

I was having issues with my router severely limiting my upload and download. I was trying to correct it with the QOS but had 0 luck. Ended up just turning it off and I got my bandwidth back. I went to the device manager to try and figure out what was going on because one other issue I noticed was the insane number of offline devices. Clicked the option to remove offline devices (which I know I will regret later) and that cleaned up that bit, but I noticed my switch connected..... My switch is dead. like dead dead. Been dead for a good long while. So I thought maybe a neighbor was somehow connecting in (don't know how since I have a pretty good password). I then noticed that my computer lost all network activity. I unblock "Nintendo Switch" and it comes back. So I decide to block MILKTOTHEMAX which is my primary computer.... and nothing happens. the switch shows to be on wireless and milk is LAN connected. all correct..... so whats going on here? Why is the switch somehow my PC but on the wireless and Milk isn't me? but when I look at the network monitor while running a speed test all the traffic shows milk. but once that's done the switch is showing some minimal activity. Additionally selecting it shows a TON of addresses along with some strings of letters and numbers I'm not familiar with. strings that follow at fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx format. I think its IPv6 but not sure because I've never used it before. Wish there was a way to verify what each of these devices is. Like why is one labeled Bed?!?!? why is my bed talking to the internet? How!?

Device Manager - DumaOS.png

network capture.PNG

Edited by Milkman
added network capture

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hello, could you provide a screenshot of the IPs the switch is getting along with the IPs your main PC is getting please? That may explain why it has happened.

Thanks for responding. I keep fooling myself into thinking I know what I'm doing only to be completely baffled 5 minutes later

switchIP.PNG

PC.PNG

• Administrators

That is quite strange, I can't find anything on the MAC address for the Switch device. Do you have an iPhone or Android phone connected to WiFi?

If you look at the IP on the PC itself what IP do you get?

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That is quite strange, I can't find anything on the MAC address for the Switch device. Do you have an iPhone or Android phone connected to WiFi?

If you look at the IP on the PC itself what IP do you get?

I do have an Android, but I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking for. I used my wife's computer to verify that she sees the same thing when she connects in. blocking the Nintendo switch still turns off my connection, and ipconfig verifies the IP and MAC of my machine.

It is not. my phone is showing a different v6 and v4 IP address than those listed for the switch. verified my wife's phone as well. just to be sure i verified as many other devices as i could. but they all seem correct. my original thought was that this thing (the switch) might be the router itself, but it doesn't seem to effect any of the other devices when i block it. so it must be something on my machine itself. i did a reset of my PC's network where it removes and then re-installs all the adapters and drivers. that didn't seem to get rid of either the switch or the network loss when i block it.

new symptoms. I blocked it again and rebooted my machine. thought that maybe i can force it to go away so I could delete the device. Nope. Made the whole thing MUCH worse. Computer was barely functioning. couldn't launch web browser, most functions were insanely slow. So I'm now doubting it is the router. It must be something internal to my machine, but that doesn't make sense.

• Administrators

Reboot the router from the interface, use a different device to access the router, remove offline devices from the Device Manager menu :menu. Then if possible re-connect one device at a time and give it a reserved IP in LAN Settings. Once you've done all that reboot again and remove offline devices again. See if it then starts appearing.

This worked. Disconnected my machine, rebooted the router, used my wifes computer to connect to the router, (this is where it got weird) it wouldn't let me delete the 'switch' because it was "online" but it did let me delete my machine, which then took the 'switch' "offline" which then let me delete the switch. plugged my main PC back in and the switch is gone and my computer is working fine. that was an odd mess the whole way around. like what was it? why did blocking it seem to bog EVERY aspect of my computer from functioning? why did it still think it was online without my machine having a wireless card for wifi or plugged into the network, but once i deleted the lan connection that was offline it accepted it was offline? the world may never know the answers to these great mysteries, but at least my original issue is solved.