[experiment]Fastnat netduma firmware

illusiveman

In Linux, there are actually two separate types of NAT that can be used, either Fast-NAT or Netfilter-NAT. Fast-NAT is implemented inside the IP routing code of the Linux kernel, while Netfilter-NAT is also implemented in the Linux kernel, but inside the netfilter code. Since this book won't touch the IP routing code too closely, we will pretty much leave it here, except for a few notes. Fast-NAT is generally called by this name since it is much faster than the netfilter NAT code. It doesn't keep track of connections, and this is both its main pro and con. Connection tracking takes a lot of processor power, and hence it is slower, which is one of the main reasons that the Fast-NAT is faster than Netfilter-NAT. As we also said, the bad thing about Fast-NAT doesn't track connections, which means it will not be able to do SNAT very well for whole networks, neither will it be able to NAT complex protocols such as FTP, IRC and other protocols that Netfilter-NAT is able to handle very well. It is possible, but it will take much, much more work than would be expected from the Netfilter implementation.

There is also a final word that is basically a synonym to SNAT, which is the Masquerade word. In Netfilter, masquerade is pretty much the same as SNAT with the exception that masquerading will automatically set the new source IP to the default IP address of the outgoing network interface.

http://www.iptables.info/en/nat.html

tl;dr :

better throughput but breaks some features? (that netduma uses)

• Netduma Staff

If they did do this what would this mean cause I understood very little of what was above, lol. From the little I did pick up, was it that fastnat could allow faster speeds, therefore lifting the 160mbps limit on the R1 atm, or have I got totally the wrong idea? :)

Thanks

If they did do this what would this mean cause I understood very little of what was above, lol. From the little I did pick up, was it that fastnat could allow faster speeds, therefore lifting the 160mbps limit on the R1 atm, or have I got totally the wrong idea? :)

Thanks

Adding a hardware Nat (fastnat)  would/could improve throughput, but there are pros and cons to this option 

• Netduma Staff

Adding a hardware Nat (fastnat)  would/could improve throughput, but there are pros and cons to this option 

Oh, is this thing that would increase speeds but would take a while to develop like what abc and Iain mentioned in this thread? http://forum.netduma.com/topic/407-netduma-speeds/

fastnat is not hardware nat i think, its more like a modified nat without tracking and processing whistle and bells which might be incompatible with netdumas features
hardware nat is hard to be achieve because :

1-its not implemented on the hardware side (r1)

2-its very hard to code hardware nat with the netdumas firmware

3-Might also be incompatible with netdumas feature

luckily you have the solution of having a second router and can do the following :

if you have over 150? mbit speed then setup should be like this:

modem<->1st router<->netduma (dmz the r1 on the 1st router and use duma for console or whatever ur playing, hence games dont use alot of bandwidth anyway)

if below 100

modem<->netduma<->another router (for wifi speed or whatnot)

fastnat is not hardware nat i think, its more like a modified nat without tracking and processing whistle and bells which might be incompatible with netdumas features

hardware nat is hard to be achieve because :

1-its not implemented on the hardware side (r1)

2-its very hard to code hardware nat with the netdumas firmware

3-Might also be incompatible with netdumas feature

luckily you have the solution of having a second router and can do the following :

if you have over 150? mbit speed then setup should be like this:

modem<->1st router<->netduma (dmz the r1 on the 1st router and use duma for console or whatever ur playing, hence games dont use alot of bandwidth anyway)

if below 100

modem<->netduma<->another router (for wifi speed or whatnot)

The solution to this is have a hardware nat and then filter to software processing only for devices attached to the Geo-Filter

Archived