Since QoS is set at the device level, it would be nice to have exempt device categories. Example: we have a rather large home with 2 hard wired AP's. The AP's don't have their own device label so they're set to OTHER. Also, I have the wireless radios turned off on the xr700. Since these AP's are just devices on the network, they're subject to the QoS % that I've set. Therefore they won't see the entire bandwidth I have to spread amongst their wireless clients. Those wireless clients should be subject to the QoS but not the AP's themselves as this limits the total allowed bandwidth to the AP creating much slower speeds to the multiple wireless devices connected to them. I suggest making a new device category for AP's in DEVICES which would be exempt from the QoS rules. An easier (and not as clean looking) way to do this would be too create an exception list in the QoS feature itself. This way users could designate individual devices they would want exempt from QoS. 

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is the XR giving devices connected to the APs IP addresses or is the AP giving the devices IP addresses?

Yes the XR is indeed giving the wireless clients IP addresses through it's DHCP. The AP's are set static through the XR via MAC reservation. The AP's just distribute wireless connectivity using the XR's IP as the gateway. 

On a side note: the wireless devices show up as hardwired  because of this setup which is not abnormal and does not cause any issue on the wireless clients. 

Edited by XR700 Owner
Had something to add.

I'd also like to add it's not possible right now to get my full bandwidth into the QoS. The limit right now is 1000Mbps where I get closer to ~1200Mbps on speed tests. I have my sfp+ port acting as the WAN on the XR paired with a 2.5Gbps port on the cable modem. It would be nice to take out the limitation or at least set the limit to the max theoretical speed of the fastest port on the unit. 

• Administrators

What speeds are you getting on the devices connected to the AP then? You shouldn't really be limited at all. I think once we get 3.3 on the 700 we'll be able to get that updated so people can take advantage of it.

Well even though I have an abundance of bandwidth, I still set my sliders to 50% each. We have multiple wireless and wired devices so I try to keep it conservative to keep everything running smoothly. So I noticed when there's a lot of WiFi traffic, the results on speed tests reflect QoS not by the wireless client but by the number of clients using the wifi itself. When my family gets together and some are downloading things, streaming, etc I can get results <100Mbps. When I'm by myself I can get close to the full 500 that my 50% sliders provide. That being said it seems that the wireless devices are being restricted by the QoS set to the wired AP.