XR1000 connecting to ISP's IPV6 DNS even tho configured for Cloudflare.

I have my IPV6 DNS servers set to Cloudflare, but the system log shows that the router is connecting to my local ISP (Comcast).

I've disabled and re-enabled IPV6 and rebooted the router several times, but it's still connecting to Comcast IPV6 DNS.

Ideas..?

XR1000IPV6DNS0.png

XR1000IPV6DNS1.png

• SimMAUDeon changed the title to XR1000 connecting to ISP's IPV6 DNS even tho configured for Cloudflare.
  • Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Depending on how you've setup the ISP modem it will be overwriting the DNS you have set here, so you could put the modem in bridge/modem mode for example then it would work or you could enter the Cloudflare DNS on the ISP modem as well.

On 5/28/2023 at 4:50 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Depending on how you've setup the ISP modem it will be overwriting the DNS you have set here, so you could put the modem in bridge/modem mode for example then it would work or you could enter the Cloudflare DNS on the ISP modem as well.

The modem is a HGD310 and has no configuration. 

Besides that, the modem is upstream of the XR1000 and so it's settings wouldn't be reflected in the logs of the XR1000. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you got IPv6 enabled for LAN as well? If not set that and see if it then works please

Yes indeed...although that would not be a factor in whether or not the XR1000's dnsmasq connects to a nameserver not specified by a savvy user who chooses to bypass this ISP via router config.  I also used PRTG Network Monitor and verified that none of the devices on my are trying to reach my ISP's DNS server.

I had an idea, but I haven't been table to find solid info/instructions that match - even roughly - the config options on the XR1000.  Several sites say one can prevent all requests to "other" nameservers:53 by setting up your preferred in the router and then configuring the router to (force) redirect all outbound DNS traffic to the preferred.  Some sites say this is "Port Forwarding", which - as far as I can tell from the XR1000's GUI - applies to INbound connections.  Some say this is "TCP/IP Routing", which I haven't had time to properly research.

Thoughts..?