Too many IP addresses for one device

W11cE

R1 always shows at least 2-3 different IP addresses for my phone. From 2 to 3 is not a problem yet, however the most i have had was i think 7 or 8 addresses. At that point im having problems with views for example device manager. The long string of numbers stretches the buttons and text fields outside the screen or overlaps with other stuff.

I quess it shows also 3G IP addresses and that is why this is happening. Is this something my phone is doing wrong? or something else?

Yeah, i know. But there is something wrong if i have to restart the device constantly. Those extra 2 addresses will come only in 2 or 3 days.

But thanks, i hope future versions handle this better :)

yeah, this is getting weird. i noticed with the PS4, it has one MAC address for WiFi and another for Wired... i didnt know that is possible. phones are particularly problematic i have noticed as they tend to pile up for everytime i seem to walk in the door.

• Netduma Staff

i noticed with the PS4, it has one MAC address for WiFi and another for Wired... i didnt know that is possible.

Yeah, it is because they are two different network interfaces so if you switch between the two, they will appear as two different devices on the device manager :)

• Netduma Staff

Should be same device though. Now explain phone situation...

The Netduma recognises a device by its MAC Address (like other routers). I don't think there is a way for it to know that those two MAC Addresses are the same device.

R1 always shows at least 2-3 different IP addresses for my phone. From 2 to 3 is not a problem yet, however the most i have had was i think 7 or 8 addresses. At that point im having problems with views for example device manager. The long string of numbers stretches the buttons and text fields outside the screen or overlaps with other stuff.

I quess it shows also 3G IP addresses and that is why this is happening. Is this something my phone is doing wrong? or something else?

Here's a solution for you bro.

1) Turn off any Wired and Wiress devices from connecting with the Netduma.

2) Delete all devices under the Device Manager -> Edit -> Local Devices

3) Connect your PC 1st with what you normally use. If wired and wireless, then just connect both.

4) OPTIONAL: Go to Device Manager -> Edit -> Local Devices and rename your devices for easy reference (i.e. PC-Wired, PC-Wireless, iPhone-5Ghz - iPhone-24Ghz)

5) From there, go to Settings, Click on DHCP Lease. Under the Lease, you should see either the Wired Mac address of your PC or Wireless or both.

6) Tick 'Reserve'. And allocate the numbers 2 to 200. 201-254 are for automatic DHCP leasing. (for example, the first Mac address I see, I'll assign the number 2 then the second Mac address, I'll assign the number 3)

7) Repeat Steps 3 through 6 with your other devices.

8) When you are done, remember to go to Settings -> Miscellaneous -> press 'Reboot Router' so as to save your settings permanently to your router.

This way, the moment your device connects to the Netduma, the router will provide the same IP address all the time as it recognises your device's Mac Address. You will then get at most, 2 different IP address which is common with all routers.

• Netduma Staff

Yeah, thats what i do with all of my devices. However these IP addresses are not local (except that one). These are the addresses my phone uses for 3G connection.

Can you take a screen shot as the Netduma should't do anything with 3G - it only broadcasts Wifi.

Archived