Speeds drop when connected directly to internet

I have CL Fiber, so there's no need for a modem and the C3000Z they provided is just an bridge, I don't use it, so I thought, I should save 10 bucks a month. Internet is the only service I have, no phone, no TV, just a 940Mbps plan.

So I tried pulling it out of my network, and setting up my Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 in its place. Got my PPPoE credentials, setup bridging on the VR1000 and added a VLAN (id: 201, name: Internet)

Connects just fine when using the incoming line that the C3000Z was previously using... BUT. My speeds are significantly lower. Upload goes from ~900 to 250mb/s Download isn't as drastic, but still looks like a 25% decrease from when I have the XR1000 just hanging off the CL provided router.

Any idea why this would be? Am I being punished and throttled down for removing the C3000Z? Am I missing something with the setup on the XR1000?

• tcooper changed the title to Speeds drop when connected directly to internet

Yes, if I do that, speeds  go back up.   I have not tried setting the C3000Z as a transparent bridge.

So far, I've tried

ONT -> C3000Z acting as the PPPoE client -> XR1000 = fast speeds

ONT -> XR1000 acting as the PPPoE client = reduced speeds  

In the second case the C3000Z is completely out of the network.  The reason I'd like to remove it is it's a rental fee I could not have to pay.

1 hour ago, tcooper said:

Yes, if I do that, speeds  go back up.   I have not tried setting the C3000Z as a transparent bridge.

So far, I've tried

ONT -> C3000Z acting as the PPPoE client -> XR1000 = fast speeds

ONT -> XR1000 acting as the PPPoE client = reduced speeds  

In the second case the C3000Z is completely out of the network.  The reason I'd like to remove it is it's a rental fee I could not have to pay.

OK thank you, we are aware of this issue and are working to replicate it internally.

A short-term solution for you could be to purchase a cheap router to function as a PPPoE client. Then you can get rid of the C3000Z. In the meantime, we'll get to fixing this issue for the next firmware