Why is the R1 so unreliable?

DillyDally5549

Ok but this is just silly now. Ever since I bought this 2nd hand nearly a year ago I have had nothing but problems.

WiFi crashing constantly, getting errors telling me the "Rapp" has not yet loaded, sometimes the router crashes entirely when trying to change or apply a setting, traffic controller is broken. I'm definentley not the only person who has this as other people (who use the R2) have complained about their product on this community and nothing seems to be done. Reboot does nothing, reset does nothing, firmware reinstall does nothing. It's a shame because the only reason why I bought this router is to connect to NA CoD servers from the UK via the geofilter but all these problems just let the device down. If you are planning obselesence on the R1 and possibly the R2 in favour for the Nighthawk then just admit it as I will be getting rid of this router soon or flashing it with OpenWRT. Cheers

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

We first launched the R1 at the end of 2014, the hardware itself is older than that, so it's been over 8 years, plus the fact that it is second hand means it's not going to run as well as a newer R2 for example. This is a support forum so you will mostly only see people with issues posting here. As far as I am aware we're always going to have our own routers, it's great for developing our software and we also try to price them so that more people get to experience it. 

That being said, what firmware version are you on currently? We haven't had a firmware update for some time but depending on what you're on there may be a newer one for you.

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 7:22 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

We first launched the R1 at the end of 2014, the hardware itself is older than that, so it's been over 8 years, plus the fact that it is second hand means it's not going to run as well as a newer R2 for example. This is a support forum so you will mostly only see people with issues posting here. As far as I am aware we're always going to have our own routers, it's great for developing our software and we also try to price them so that more people get to experience it. 

That being said, what firmware version are you on currently? We haven't had a firmware update for some time but depending on what you're on there may be a newer one for you.

Just a curious question at the moment are we nearing the end support for the R1 router? Or does it still have support? Well I’ve been having this router for a couple of year ago and it’s still strong though just on the right settings and a few tweaks it’s still working though. It’s my personal gaming router. :)

7 hours ago, T-sun said:

Just a curious question at the moment are we nearing the end support for the R1 router? Or does it still have support? Well I’ve been having this router for a couple of year ago and it’s still strong though just on the right settings and a few tweaks it’s still working though. It’s my personal gaming router. :)

8 year old R1 router really needs updating, its specs are way out of date. I dont imagine it will get many more updates as its hardware is so limited. I mean the latest wifi 7 gear has 2.6Ghz quad core CPU's and can handle 200 clients!

• Administrators
14 hours ago, T-sun said:

The further DumaOS advances the harder it becomes to get it supported on the R1 but we're doing everything we can. In terms of hardware though it definitely should be upgraded if you need better hardware e.g for AC/AX WiFi.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:11 PM, Killhippie said:

8 year old R1 router really needs updating, its specs are way out of date. I dont imagine it will get many more updates as its hardware is so limited. I mean the latest wifi 7 gear has 2.6Ghz quad core CPU's and can handle 200 clients!

Well it’s still the very first Router that they made though but the specs are not on the technology side but it’s still Duma though but yeah you’re right the technology of the R1 cannot have the newest specs of today though.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:11 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

The further DumaOS advances the harder it becomes to get it supported on the R1 but we're doing everything we can. In terms of hardware though it definitely should be upgraded if you need better hardware e.g for AC/AX WiFi.

Hmm well im still using it. It’s still running but on software side the technology is progressing maybe a separate update of the DumaOS can still support this R1 though but not on the technology specs side but what it can do as the very first router that you guys have created. It’s still superb in terms of connection and gaming though. (Without your router I wouldn’t have been playing with my friends online on the switch though and ps4, ps3, and a new console ps5 soon) with the software now I can tweak the settings and make it run smoothly though. It’s fun tweaking the settings and doing some experiments on the QoS.

What im saying that don’t removed the support of your R1 just let it have it’s software support people and vise versa on the other routers that has the DumaOS which has their own advantages.

Soon to get a R2 though.

11 hours ago, T-sun said:

Well it’s still the very first Router that they made though but the specs are not on the technology side but it’s still Duma though but yeah you’re right the technology of the R1 cannot have the newest specs of today though.

Hmm well im still using it. It’s still running but on software side the technology is progressing maybe a separate update of the DumaOS can still support this R1 though but not on the technology specs side but what it can do as the very first router that you guys have created. It’s still superb in terms of connection and gaming though. (Without your router I wouldn’t have been playing with my friends online on the switch though and ps4, ps3, and a new console ps5 soon) with the software now I can tweak the settings and make it run smoothly though. It’s fun tweaking the settings and doing some experiments on the QoS.

What im saying that don’t removed the support of your R1 just let it have it’s software support people and vise versa on the other routers that has the DumaOS which has their own advantages.

Soon to get a R2 though.

Its CPU is very underpowered, it cant deal with high speed FTTP, and the R2 was way underpowered as well sadly. Still a dual core CPU thats under 1Ghz, and only 32 bit in an age where all routers are 64 bit and are 1.5Ghz up to 2.6Ghz, mines 1.8Ghz (they can do more calculations per second now) I use a Netgear RAXE500 with its QoS and no lag, I game great, I don't need to tweak as it tweaks itself faster than I can and its been up since January when the last firmware update came out with no reboots. I think Netduma will move forwards soon with better hardware, the Wi-Fi support on the R1 is appalling but it is old. WiFi 7 will have lower latency and 10Gbps ports as standard and will be faster up to 40Gbps with latency under 1ms, that's better than Ethernet cables around your house. Even wifi 6 is better and thats what the PS5 uses with much better security with WPA3 AES Encryption.
  Even now 6E is just surfacing, I game over Wi-Fi using Wi-Fi 6 with WPA3 on my 1200 series PS5 and I am hammering Destiny 2 having a great time, killing in the crucible, smashing raids and no lag no rubber banding, my router has very low latency which helps, so its horses for courses on what you like. I don't think you need gaming routers to game, you need skill and practice really, but if you want gaming kit get something secure and with modern quad core 64 bit SoC's, also the components in your router are ageing, capacitors etc, get another router as a back up, maybe a XR500 if you can find one.

Avoid the R2 is not a great router spec wise and it runs hot (sorry Netduma but you know I'm right) but keep your eye out, Netduma are aware I believe they need better hardware and will pull a rabbit out the hat sometime I bet to get back on top, and to those that use Duma to cheat, that's just sad and I hope Netduma address that. I hope your R1 keeps going but seriously get a spare router as it wont last for ever, and after all this time the capacitors may be bulging or leaking (new hardware uses smd MLLC ceramic capacitors and other smd ceramic components) so nothing to leak or go pop and the R1's power supply may well be will be going soft if its the original, typically a routers useful life span is 5 years hardware wise. Some may go on for years but some may die the first day (rare now) its hard to say hence improvements in new PCB's makes a difference.

New hardware has at least 1GB of ram and 512 of Flash NAND, the R1 really is to slow for today's gaming world and internet in general and has little in the way of security to keep you safe online. Anyway enjoy it while you can and I hope you have a few more updates but you wont get all the new goodies as it cant support them sadly. Have fun with it while you can though 🙂

I still got my R1 running despite having the R2, yes on paper the specs doesn't live up todays standards but it gets the job done. Its my backup when R2 is playing up its never let me down over the years, it would be nice a major update is released to iron out current bugs etc other than that am still happy with mine. 

On 3/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, Seye said:

I still got my R1 running despite having the R2, yes on paper the specs doesn't live up todays standards but it gets the job done. Its my backup when R2 is playing up its never let me down over the years, it would be nice a major update is released to iron out current bugs etc other than that am still happy with mine. 

A Morris Minor from 1967 gets the job done but does not mean you should drive it on today's roads, that's my point. The R1 is old, slow, has bad Wi-Fi and probably cannot cope with FTTP speeds, and since FTTP roll outs are happening fast better hardware is needed, and better security transparency also. Enjoy your R1 I know we get attached to things but seriously it needs updating, and the R2 is abysmal in my view, better things are sure to come from Netduma I believe.