Missing JSON response. AGAIN!

The Missing JSON response. keeps popping and popping and the router has become unusable. this is a recurring error, is there an DEFINITIVE solution???

please help, I'm about to toss this crap to the trash.

XR300 with the latest firmware xxxx78

Installed, rebooted, flushed, powered down, waited, short of performing and exorcism I did everything

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

There hasn't been an update for the 300 for some time, the best thing to try would be a reinstall of the firmware using the TFTP method, followed by a factory reset for the cleanest installation possible.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-Microsoft-Windows-Command-Prompt?article=000059634

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There hasn't been an update for the 300 for some time, the best thing to try would be a reinstall of the firmware using the TFTP method, followed by a factory reset for the cleanest installation possible.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-Microsoft-Windows-Command-Prompt?article=000059634

hmm... ok, let me go  get a degree in computer science and Ill do that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 3:14 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I tried that dozens of times, via cmd, via a tftp client, it never PUTs the file.  BTw, the power light NEVER blinks

is there a firmware version that DOSNT have the damn json problem????

• Administrators

Did you change the directory on command prompt to be the same as the location of the file? Did you enable TFTP on Windows itself?

Between steps 7-9 hold the reset button and then let go on step 9 when that's complete then carry on and see if that works

tftp is enabled, I moved the file to root, C in my case and I was operating cmd from C also. from your pic I can tell I was using DOS before you were even born, I know my way around it.

I'm also connected to the correct IP, I even ping it to make sure. Is there any previous firmware that is more stable?

also, like I said, the instructions said to wait for the orange power lite to blink. it NEVER blinks, not a single time during the whole startup/boot process

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, rauko said:

tftp is enabled, I moved the file to root, C in my case and I was operating cmd from C also. from your pic I can tell I was using DOS before you were even born, I know my way around it.

I'm also connected to the correct IP, I even ping it to make sure. Is there any previous firmware that is more stable?

also, like I said, the instructions said to wait for the orange power lite to blink. it NEVER blinks, not a single time during the whole startup/boot process

I don't know your personal experience or that of any other customer and have to troubleshoot given what is being said at the time, you suggested the guide may not be as clear to an end user so I just wanted to double check some details. 

If you do the reset in the place I mentioned that should get the light to flash once turned on. Otherwise, there are quite a few firmware versions you can choose from to see if they are more stable for you: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/xr300.aspx#download

It's also worth mentioning that if your browser is forcing connections to use HTTPS this could be causing the problem, if you double check your browser does this and disable it if it does then re-try the interface using HTTP and see if it loads without error.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't know your personal experience or that of any other customer and have to troubleshoot given what is being said at the time, you suggested the guide may not be as clear to an end user so I just wanted to double check some details. 

If you do the reset in the place I mentioned that should get the light to flash once turned on. Otherwise, there are quite a few firmware versions you can choose from to see if they are more stable for you: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/xr300.aspx#download

It's also worth mentioning that if your browser is forcing connections to use HTTPS this could be causing the problem, if you double check your browser does this and disable it if it does then re-try the interface using HTTP and see if it loads without error.

I cant complain about your support, this is by far the best, fastest and most comprehensive support Ive seen Saddly, nothing is solving my problem.

Back to the light issue. at least in my XR300 the power light during the boot process goes from OFF to DIMM to SOLID. it never ,ever blinks. the only light that ever blinks is the corresponding to the ethernet port my PC is hooked too

• Administrators

Glad to hear that! Okay forget TFTP then for the moment, try the HTTP force and check some of the previous versions, I would recommend you do a factory reset if you do change firmware, it clears out any remnants of the previous version that may cause issues

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad to hear that! Okay forget TFTP then for the moment, try the HTTP force and check some of the previous versions, I would recommend you do a factory reset if you do change firmware, it clears out any remnants of the previous version that may cause issues

by factory reset I guess you mean pressing and holding the reset button on the back of the router (btw, the ONLY time the orange power light actually blinks). If so, Ive done it multiple time to no avail. same thing with the json.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, rauko said:

by factory reset I guess you mean pressing and holding the reset button on the back of the router (btw, the ONLY time the orange power light actually blinks). If so, Ive done it multiple time to no avail. same thing with the json.

Yes but if you change firmware version to check if any of them are more stable for you or do they all have the issue? You've checked it's only connecting using HTTP?