XR500 Speedbandwidth

whoozy

I have a dedicated connection of 600down/10up to my PC.

My XR500 is hooked up to a cable-modem that is run in bridge mode for complete pass-through.

So here's the problem, I play MW2,.. when I throttle down my connection to the PC with the XR500, (reduce the bandwidth to only allow 3 up and 3 down to the console, it only sometimes works. Some days it will throttle down my connection, and when I run a speed test on the PC I see the numbers I've desired. Other days like the last 2 or 3, I still see full speeds on the download side. I can even fully cut off the PC and set the router to zero bandwidth /MB's, but am still seeing over 600 download when I run the speedtest on the PC. This has been going on since day one and the inconsistency is very frustrating. I have tried everything, made dozens and dozens of adjustments, turned qos off/on, checked/unchecked share excess, checked/unchecked goodput, bufferbloat at 70% (or 80% or a 100%), prioritized, not prioritized, factory reset the router countless times, and it's always the same. Sometimes the router will throttle back my connection as desired(and my gaming is just stellar!), and other times (which is most of the time) I get my full download speed no matter what I put the setting to.

Is there something I am missing here? Not setting something right? Why when I completely cut off the PC (set the Bandwidth Allocation to zero) do I still see download speeds over 600??

Sorry for the very longwinded post, but I am getting very frustrated with the inconsistency of the settings not taking or holding, and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Administrators

Can you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please? That will give me a good insight into why it may be happening.

Are you also using:

• PPPoE/VLAN/IPv6/DHCP identifiers for a connection
  • Traffic Controller
  • DMZ to PC or lots of port forwarding rules