Packet Burst (Not loss) doomed to be ISP?

krxptix

Hey so I know this isn’t directly COD support but wondering if anyone could give any insight here. I’m from the UK, moved house which previously had Virgin Media to a village which only had copper line, had TalkTalk standard copper line for a while and had crazy packet burst and stutter in ONLY cod, put it down to copper line and upgraded to fibre. Took 4 months for the install to happen after the initial failed install date so I’m due a huge lot of account credit in compensation from TalkTalk hence why I’m hesitant to change ISP’s. 

So here’s the thing, on Fibre 500 now, I get horrendous packet burst and stutters in warzone/mw2. The second something intense happens, gunfight with multiple people or grenades going off for example. Other video games are fine, waveform bufferloat gives me an A rating, slight latency increase under load, around 14ms. Connection benchmark in DumaOS consistently reports 143ms ping increase under load no matter the QoS/CC being on always etc. I’ve tried everything under the sun to fix the packet burst in cod, my PC is fairly high end, I’ve tried more routers than I can count, different cabling etc, even gone over WiFi but I just can’t get rid of it. It never happened at my old address with Virgin Media so surely it has to be ISP right? TalkTalk are at the cheaper/cheapest end of broadband in the UK, I heard someone say they rent crappy routing off OpenReach and that’s why I have issues, anyone know if there’s any truth in this? 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Someone may correct me here but I've been doing quite a bit of research myself recently regarding broadband providers, as far as I am aware most providers are using the Openreach infrastructure, whereas VM has their own lines etc which is likely why you've noticed quite a big difference. There are 3 'gaming' broadband providers in the UK that I am aware of that provide optimized routing to game servers apparently, perhaps that is something to look into? I think you may even be able to get a second line put in so if you're getting high speeds with TalkTalk and a lot of account credit then maybe the cost of an extra gaming broadband line may be appealing. Overall though I do concur with your assessment, if nothing else has changed in your setup except location and ISP then that will be the cause.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Someone may correct me here but I've been doing quite a bit of research myself recently regarding broadband providers, as far as I am aware most providers are using the Openreach infrastructure, whereas VM has their own lines etc which is likely why you've noticed quite a big difference. There are 3 'gaming' broadband providers in the UK that I am aware of that provide optimized routing to game servers apparently, perhaps that is something to look into? I think you may even be able to get a second line put in so if you're getting high speeds with TalkTalk and a lot of account credit then maybe the cost of an extra gaming broadband line may be appealing. Overall though I do concur with your assessment, if nothing else has changed in your setup except location and ISP then that will be the cause.

Hey thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it! :) yeah so where I am now every provider available uses OpenReach infrastructure but I’m assuming talktalk must rent cheaper lines/routing to keep their prices down I assume or something along those lines. I did wonder if upgrading to their Fibre 900 highest end package would improve anything but seems unlikely. Do you know what the gaming focused providers are? I heard Zen was a popular one but also heard they’ve been suffering from a lot of issues now due to congested lines. 

On a side note I assume the constant 143ms/or higher ping under load results in the benchmark on DumaOS are false given that Waveform gives me a +14ms max result? Or does DumaOS test it in a different way? 

I ran pingplotter for an hour while streaming video on multiple devices and downloading games on the console and only saw a jump up to 36ms a few times, otherwise seems quite stable. There is another website online called packetlosstest.com, this gives me a 1% packet loss and 100% late packets over 150ms result, not sure if anyone knows how credible this test is? 

it just really puzzles me how it’s only packet burst in Cod and no other game. Really has me wracking my brain like crazy. Sorry for the long reply and many points, I’ve just been going crazy over this packet burst for the past 2 months now so finally getting it all out haha!

• Administrators

Unlikely the routing would change just from increasing the speeds. So the 3 I found were gamingbroadband, leetline & ghostgb - I don't know what they're like so I can't vouch for them, just what I've seen. 

You can ignore that, we're still improving the results so if PingPlotter gives you great results I would go with that. It could just be that it's a new game and so they're still working out the kinks.