Portfowarding and/or Traffic Prioritization, need clarification

Mostwest

In any other router i've used in my experience Portfowarding has been pretty much the same.

I did a test on DumaOS with both Portfowarding and Traffic prioritization for the same UDP and TCP ports and I noticed then those packets get prioritized even when portfowarding is enable

What's the Router pipeline in this case? Shouldn't the R2 just ignore traffic prioritization when portfowarding is enbled?

Let's say you have a VOIP gateway on UDP 5060, would you set it up on traffic priority, port fowarding or both?

EDIT: Same goes for DMZ the point of having is to ignore everything on the router and just allow the selected device, did it on my PC just to found out it's still affected by congestion controll and Traffic Prioritization.

• Administrators

Port Forwarding just opens ports, so if an application wants to send/receive traffic on port 55555 for example it can do so without being hampered by security settings/slowed down by the router trying to figure out what port needs to be used. Traffic Prioritization does just what it says on the tin, if prioritizes traffic, unless you disable it then it can prioritize traffic whether you port forward, use DMZ etc. 

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Port Forwarding just opens ports, so if an application wants to send/receive traffic on port 55555 for example it can do so without being hampered by security settings/slowed down by the router trying to figure out what port needs to be used. Traffic Prioritization does just what it says on the tin, if prioritizes traffic, unless you disable it then it can prioritize traffic whether you port forward, use DMZ etc. 

Pretty wild that you have things in DMZ still affected by Qos settings or traffic prioritization. In any other router I have used DMZ it's used to expose that particular ip device to the network so it skips everything both firewall, sqm and that's the reason why you either portforward some ports or use DMZ on devices that need it

What's the Reason behind R2 not being able to correctly DMZ devices? Can you tag a dev? 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just to double check, how are you determining Traffic Prioritization is still functioning correctly - are you not prioritizing the device that is in the DMZ?

1) First had to double check that DMZ is working by setting up NC -l -p of a port of my choice and let it listen for incoming connection from the outside net on that specific port (or multiple)

-Double check that the port is reachable from the net wich it is.

So DMZ is working fine, upnp and portfowarding both disabled

2) Use the port 443 wich is the one used during google chrome download and set it up on TCP in the network prioritization

-Start download and the R2 will prioritize that port despite the PC being in correct DMZ mode.

Nothing else is connected to the R2 and Wifi is off.

I guess only a DEV can explain why in the pipeline DMZ doesn't ignore traffic prioritization

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

QoS is still active, DMZ won't prevent those other features working, the router is still detecting traffic on that device that according to the rule set should be prioritized

So the DMZ will only ignore the firewall but keeping everything else?