Cannot solve connection issues on my own. Xbox series X, XR1000, CM1000v2.

RobertFolts

So I have been in a world of issues for quite some time now. I’ve been through more pages than I can count and I cannot find a solution. Any help is appreciated and new ideas would be great. 

The biggest issue is online gaming has become somewhat unplayable due to consistent lag spikes in every game. Consistent jitter and latency issues. Streaming and surfing the web are fine but i cannot do the one thing i want to with the internet. This sometimes consist of slight rubber banding every 4 to 5 seconds to complete lockdown. Every game from COD, Siege, Overwatch, and rocket league all giving the same issue of packet loss, latency, and jitter.

My current setup is ISP: Cox Communications gigablast >  CM1000v2> XR10000 >LAN to Xbox series X. All of my other home devices are wireless.  

I have tried using QOS, geo filter, I’ve factory reset the router and only used the Xbox via Ethernet and still encountered the same issues. I’ve also never had IPv6 as I spent an entire day troubleshooting that and could only see it via wireless and it still didn’t solve the jitter. 

At this point I have no idea where to start looking. I have blamed Cox but I feel as there may be a solution in here somewhere. Download and Upload speeds are fine, ping won’t go below 50ms on the xr1000.  Is it the ISP? modem? The router? The Xbox? No idea at this point. 

I threw in a recent video of the lag I experience, this one is a little extreme but happens pretty consistently. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you provide a screenshot of a completed Connection Benchmark test, your QoS page and the Geo-Filter page please?

What is the ping you're seeing on the Geo-Filter and the ping in game?

So regardless of the benchmark test the game acts the same. I’m game the Ping (via the connection monitor) hovers around 50-60ms while jumping up to 100 to 300 up to 400 then bounces around 60-180ms. I have geofilter off as it didn’t help. I do have CC on. 

FC2241E4-438D-4E00-B754-75B5BDD6E7FD.png

7EBB8FD1-54C1-4515-A239-C917A5266B3A.png

3A29C1CB-D1EE-4DCC-BAF1-F63A200022A8.png

• Administrators

From your Connection Benchmark test it definitely indicates an issue upstream from the XR, either modem or the ISP. The Ping Test is a baseline test, so it just continuously monitors your ping while it forces every device offline to see what your ping is before you do anything online. As you can see from yours it has a lot of spiking and jitter, I would definitely recommend you contact your ISP about this as that isn't normal.

Thank you for the quick response, I have definitely been doubting my own hypothesis of it being an ISO issue as if that’s the case there isn’t anything I can do because well….Cox Communications customer service is downright awful. But at least I’ll stop chasing my tail on this one. 

• Administrators

If you're able to, get a different modem, even if you buy it then return it for a refund to see if that makes the test any better - if it does then great, the modem was the issue, if not then the ISP. In which case I think persistence really is key, you need to get through that first line of support basically so they escalate it, that's when you get the more knowledgeable technicians on the kind of issue you're facing. If you collect evidence and say what you have done (tried a different modem, ran ping tests over 10 mins etc) that will reduce the amount of troubleshooting the first line of support can go through and with some luck they will escalate. If you say your livelihood depends on a consistent ping as well that can help.