Recently purchased R2 and internet speeds (especially wireless) tanked

thestepafter

I'm on 1000/500 internet and when testing with the FCC app receive about 800/400 on WiFi (2.4Ghz) and 900/500 on an ASUS AX5700.

I purchased an R2 last week based on buffer bloat concerns and the built in functionality such as ad blocking.

After plugging the R2 in I have noticed significant internet stability issues. Right now on the same FCC app as above I am getting 2.26/failed on WiFi (2.4Ghz).

QoS is turned off and so is the Geo-Filter.

Navigating the dumaos/ pages is extremely slow and when I save settings, they don't appear to save sometimes. For example, none of the ping tests that I do in DumaOS are saved after I log out. I also run into issues with the 5Ghz WiFi turning on and QoS being on after a couple hours even though I previously turned it off.

I'm pretty disappointed in the R2 so far and I haven't even had a chance to use any of the advanced features yet.

What are next steps for support on this?

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. How did you disable QoS exactly? Could you provide a screenshot of the QoS page please?

What is the model of the modem/router the R2 is connected to? Are ALL devices connected to the R2?

What device/web browser are you using to access the interface? Are you accessing via HTTPS instead of HTTP? Some browsers force HTTPS, in which case make sure it's using HTTP.

Hello Fraser!

I switched back to my previous router for the time being as the internet is unusable for me on the R2.

Here is a screenshot of the QoS page. I set the Congestion Control to Never, Bandwidth Allocation to default, and turned off all Traffic Prioritization.

image.thumb.png.d37568d9bd82e42745b7c4b255c1a185.png

The R2 is plugged into a fiber Nokia modem provided by my ISP. (I'm not sure of the model number as it isn't displayed on the outside of the box anywhere.)

I am using Firefox to connect to dumaos/ and it is through HTTP.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

• Administrators

Thanks for the information, first things first, you're on a very old firmware version which won't be helping. Upgrade to the latest: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/39522-new-r2-firmware-32453/ then after the upgrade has completed ~5 minutes after uploading perform a factory reset. Wait 2 minutes then access and see whether it has improved after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fraser!

I had a busy work week so I was unable to test this further until now.

I have upgraded the router firmware to 3.2.453 and completed a factory reset.

Speeds have improved but the built in ping test isn't showing speeds higher than 250 down / 350 up.

When I do a buffer bloat test (https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat) my speeds are showing as 826 down / 300 up. The bufferbloat grade is A.

I haven't changed any settings other than going through the initial setup after the firmware upgrade.

What are your recommendations for proceeding now that I'm on the latest version?

• Administrators

Don't worry about the speeds reported on Benchmark, they use different servers so seem to report lower for a lot of people - it won't be limiting you and looks like you're getting good speeds on other sites, disable the protection options in WAN Settings and that may boost them a bit more but other than that its likely to be the max you will achieve through the R2.