Lower Speeds

Guest Netduma Fraser

My anti flood was set to 95% for the slower test.  Also I am definitely set to reactive.

Have you set your correct internet speed on the R1 when its at its max?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Yes I have set it to my max speeds.

Are you on wired? If you're on wireless have you turned off the WiFi on your upstream router?

Are you on wired? If you're on wireless have you turned off the WiFi on your upstream router?

I was testing wirelessly for these.  I have no upstream router, my current setup goes...

Wall - Modem- Netduma (wifi disabled) - Asus Rt87u (5ghz and 2.4 ghz)

Guest Netduma Fraser

I was testing wirelessly for these.  I have no upstream router, my current setup goes...

Wall - Modem- Netduma (wifi disabled) - Asus Rt87u (5ghz and 2.4 ghz)

Could you try doing a wired test and see how the anti-flood affects your speed please.

Could you try doing a wired test and see how the anti-flood affects your speed please.

Here are the result both wired and wireless with anti flood set to 95%.

edit: the wired is the slightly faster test...

post-193-0-13314000-1419904190_thumb.png

post-193-0-53184500-1419904202_thumb.png

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

Sorry I noticed you said you tried 100%. Can you please try the following on wired:

1. Set the anti-flood to 100% on both directions
  2. At the bottom of the congestion control page, select "reset distribution" and "apply distribution".

You should max out your connection.

EDIT: @netduma_fraser, please add to critical (flower at high speeds research)

Hi,

Sorry I noticed you said you tried 100%. Can you please try the following on wired:

1. Set the anti-flood to 100% on both directions
  2. At the bottom of the congestion control page, select "reset distribution" and "apply distribution".

You should max out your connection.

EDIT: @netduma_fraser, please add to critical (flower at high speeds research)

Hi Iain,

You are correct, setting anti flood to 100% and then reseting distribution does max my speeds.  However Fraser and I were discussing how when I have the anti flood set to anything below 100% I can only manage around 50-60 mbps down.  Here is my speed test result when I set anti flood to 100% (this test was done via wifi)...

post-193-0-92558200-1419948068_thumb.png

And then here is my test with anti flood set to 95% via wifi and wired (should be around 91 mbps down and 4 mbps up). 

post-193-0-26988500-1419948286_thumb.png

post-193-0-47775300-1419948322_thumb.png

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hi Iain,

You are correct, setting anti flood to 100% and then reseting distribution does max my speeds.  However Fraser and I were discussing how when I have the anti flood set to anything below 100% I can only manage around 50-60 mbps down.  Here is my speed test result when I set anti flood to 100% (this test was done via wifi)...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-29 at 7.49.24 AM.png

And then here is my test with anti flood set to 95% via wifi and wired (should be around 91 mbps down and 4 mbps up). 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-29 at 7.42.45 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-29 at 7.48.25 PM.png

On the device prioritization flower, is the share excess box unticked? 

On the device prioritization flower, is the share excess box unticked? 

For these test I had the box ticked.  However I have tried setting my macbook to 100% priority and then unticked the box and had the similar results.

Edit: just deleted some false info

Guest Netduma Fraser

For these test I had the box ticked.  However I have tried setting my macbook to 100% priority and then unticked the box and had the similar results.

Edit: Actually I just retested and my results have improved if I set the priority to 100% for my macbook.  Here are the result for the test with ticked and unticked share excess...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-30 at 8.33.53 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-30 at 8.35.15 AM.png

Right okay. Can you try setting your bandwidth to a higher downspeed, and then redoing the tests? (my theory is when you reduce the bar your speed will be more accurate) this is only an idea whilst i further look into the issue.

Right okay. Can you try setting your bandwidth to a higher downspeed, and then redoing the tests? (my theory is when you reduce the bar your speed will be more accurate) this is only an idea whilst i further look into the issue.

Oddly enough even when I doubled my max download speed to 200 mbps the tests yielded similar results.  Nothing above 70 mbps...

Guest Netduma Fraser

Oddly enough even when I doubled my max download speed to 200 mbps the tests yielded similar results.  Nothing above 70 mbps...

Very strange, I will look into this. It may require Iain to access your router so I will discuss this with him and hopefully we can get this sorted asap.

Very strange, I will look into this. It may require Iain to access your router so I will discuss this with him and hopefully we can get this sorted asap.

Ok, sounds good. 

Edit: Also, I don't want you to think this is urgent for me.  I'm actually in no rush and don't typically need that much bandwidth.  I just wanted to let you know that there is some sort of bug, I don't want to bog down Iain from more important matters.  Feel free to fix at your own pace.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for letting us know. Can you make sure the dev prio is always reset. So reset then apply. Then try tests with different anti-flood percentages please. 

Thanks for letting us know. Can you make sure the dev prio is always reset. So reset then apply. Then try tests with different anti-flood percentages please. 

add a reset button to the gui please.....

Guest Netduma Fraser

add a reset button to the gui please.....

Right next to Update distribution there is a button that says reset distribution.

Hi Iain, yes I've been making sure to reset the device priority before every test and then clicking update distribution.  Here are 10 different test, starting at 100% and then going down...

100% = 99.38 down, 4.17 up

95%= 63.17 down, 3.91 up

90%= 62.38 down, 3.75 up

85%= 58.91 down, 3.5 up

80%= 54.81 down, 3.27 up

75%= 53.61 down, 3.04 up

65%= 50.94 down, 2.66 up

55%= 47.07 down, 2.22 up

45%= 41.46 down, 1.80 up

35%= 33.50 down, 1.40 up

post-193-0-04887300-1419995319_thumb.png

post-193-0-08795300-1419995320_thumb.png

post-193-0-06626900-1419995321_thumb.png

post-193-0-06515500-1419995322_thumb.png

post-193-0-07292100-1419995323_thumb.png

post-193-0-67997400-1419995323_thumb.png

post-193-0-33929500-1419995324_thumb.png

post-193-0-97690700-1419995324_thumb.png

post-193-0-65807300-1419995325_thumb.png

post-193-0-27481600-1419995326_thumb.png

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for all the data!

Ok those numbers make sense. The anti-flood appears to have hard limit of 100mbits. This it not such a big deal because remember the anti-flood is intended to limit the connection when playing games. So its limiting it, maybe too much but if you want more speed just set it to 100%.

By the way when you set both bars to 100% its equivalent to disabling the anti-flood feature. That explains the big jump up. I will look into optimising it at high speeds soon.

Thanks for all the data!

Ok those numbers make sense. The anti-flood appears to have hard limit of 100mbits. This it not such a big deal because remember the anti-flood is intended to limit the connection when playing games. So its limiting it, maybe too much but if you want more speed just set it to 100%.

By the way when you set both bars to 100% its equivalent to disabling the anti-flood feature. That explains the big jump up. I will look into optimising it at high speeds soon.

I agree that it's not really a big issue right now.  However what might be the larger issue is that when I do want to use 100% of my bandwidth I can't customize the device prioritization.  To achieve my max speeds I have to reset the device priority and then click update.  If I was to stream my games I would want to put the bandwidth priority highest on my console followed by my laptop I stream from.  However I can't set these priorities without cutting into my bandwidth currently.  This is mostly a hypothetical situation as I don't stream very often.

I agree that it's not really a big issue right now.  However what might be the larger issue is that when I do want to use 100% of my bandwidth I can't customize the device prioritization.  To achieve my max speeds I have to reset the device priority and then click update.  If I was to stream my games I would want to put the bandwidth priority highest on my console followed by my laptop I stream from.  However I can't set these priorities without cutting into my bandwidth currently.  This is mostly a hypothetical situation as I don't stream very often.

I have this setup and haven't noticed a speed issue, i might run some tests tomorrow.

Archived