XR500 and Nighthawk app speed discrepancy

Hey..

I recently changed to fibre on a 150mb connection, and then decided to update that to 500mb.

Testing the speed on speed test.net using my mobile I'm getting around about 250mb, testing on my pc, around 120mb.

My setup is a little unorthodox compared to the average person so I need to explain that and then explain how I overcome this fact.

I have TP Link deco's that supply my WiFi in a web network around the house and I have TP Powerline plugs that supply almost ethernet like speeds. Checking the decos they are supposed to be able to deliver around 867mb, obviously accounting for conditions and sales spill, I'd expect to receive almost the 500mb.

The TP Powerline claims 1000mb although most report a max of about 400mb or so.

When I plug ethernet into the router with a laptop, it's reporting about 250mb, but when I'm testing with the nighthawk app it reports I'm getting my full, and sometimes more than the 500mb..

How can this be explained?

Thanks 

• Administrators

The Nighthawk app is testing the speed that is coming into the router before it's processed and routed to devices, when you connect directly to the router you're getting the speed the router is able to give the device at that time. Go through this guide and see if you're able to boost those speeds: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maximum-bandwidth-speeds

I've already been though that (meaning I can't do most of the suggestions as my setup doesn't have the options described - except QoS etc), the only thing I didn't really check was turning off ipv6 but I just did and it's made no difference, it seems to be using 6to4 Tunnel, which I did disable completely to check but was unsuccessful.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you disable QoS fully from the Congestion Control menu :menu ? Did that make any difference? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?

Yes, it was disabled fully and it's not connected to a modem, it's connected to fttp so it's a socket on the wall, the bt one S1-Lights-on-modem.jpg

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On 9/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you provide a screenshot of the QoS page please just so I can check if there may be anything affecting it. In WAN Settings disable the protection option, also try with NAT set to Open and see if that boosts it at all.

I tried the NAT and WAN settings and it made no difference, attached is the QoS image.. I've posted what the nighthawk app is telling me too 

Screenshot_20220923-172524_Free Adblocker Browser~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220923-172520_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It doesn't look like QoS has been disabled from the Congestion Control menu as each panel should physically say QoS disabled once done

That's because I did it, tested and then put it back on.. I retested the congestion control here too..

Now it seems it won't let me change speeds on auto-detect.. keeps saying "The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this Rapp."

I've also posted what the nighthawk app is telling me too

Screenshot_20220923-181707_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Screenshot_20220923-181701_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Screenshot_20220923-182229_Nighthawk.jpg