Netduma is lowering my internet speed....

Psyduck321

Hello, 

I have had my Netduma for over a year and while I understand that it cannot pull the full 1000MB of data what is happening now is disturbing. For some reason in my device manager, the device is only pulling 100MB from the modem when just yesterday it was pulling 1000 I do not know what changed but it is very disturbing. I have an ATT BGW320 router and netduma r2 which was working ok in conjunction with each other till yesterday. 

Please help.

netduma ports.png

• 2 months later...

Psyduck321,

are you on AT&T 1 Gig fiber? And if so your modem is the fiber modem they gave you. I ask because AT&T should be turning the fiber on in my neighborhood starting Dec 1 (according to the AT&T tech that was working in my neighborhood yesterday). and I am wondering if i will run into a similar issue. I have an R2 also and I just upgraded cable internet to 1000 mbps / 50 mbps and the R2 comes nowhere close to detecting the correct download speed. If I disable Qos completely, the speedtest from my ISP shows over 900 mbps / 50 mbps. With it on, download detects anywhere from 270-460 mbps and upload is correct. I dont plan on getting the 1 Gig fiber connection from At&T but will be plenty happy with 500/500 which is half the price of what im paying for internet now 

So my question to you Fraser, do you really need QoS on with a connection with that much bandwidth? To me, the whole point of the Dumas OS is the geo-filtering and the ping reduction which it does well. Speed is irrelevant (gigabit is overkill if you ask me) as most devices cannot make use of it and most gaming servers dont require that kind of bandwidth. Of course I wont know what the results will be until i actually get it installed and running. But if you have any ideas on getting it to properly detect anywhere near the correct download speed, i am all ears as the only thing I have not tried yet is factory reset. Thanks.

• Administrators

Don’t worry about the detection on Benchmark, it uses different servers, see what you get on speedtest.net instead, it’s likely a lot higher.

The more bandwidth you have the harder it is to saturate the connection (use it all up) which is what causes bufferbloat. However, one download will saturate the connection, you’ll be downloading for a shorter amount of time with those speeds but if it happens during a game that’s enough to make you lag and QoS will prevent that.