R2 Model, burning smell, then death.

Shakatis

Have had my R2 for a bit now and it's treated me extremely well, although today was a bit different.. I noticed a plastic burning smell and traced the source to the router which was completely unlit and putting off this extremely unpleasant odor, I promptly unplugged it and let it set for some hours. Upon trying to plug it back in to get my devices back online, I'm greeted by... nothing, no lights, no smell, no life. Curious what steps I should pursue next. Cheers!!

9 hours ago, Shakatis said:

Have had my R2 for a bit now and it's treated me extremely well, although today was a bit different.. I noticed a plastic burning smell and traced the source to the router which was completely unlit and putting off this extremely unpleasant odor, I promptly unplugged it and let it set for some hours. Upon trying to plug it back in to get my devices back online, I'm greeted by... nothing, no lights, no smell, no life. Curious what steps I should pursue next. Cheers!!

Welcome to the forum!

Are you using the original power adapter with the R2? Was it plugged in to a wall outlet or to a power extender/strip? 

When plugged in now, is the power light on the R2 illuminated (furthest left) or are they literally all out?

1 minute ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

Are you using the original power adapter with the R2? Was it plugged in to a wall outlet or to a power extender/strip? 

When plugged in now, is the power light on the R2 illuminated (furthest left) or are they literally all out?

Cheers, appreciate the hospitality. I was indeed using the power cable that came with the device it was plugged into an extension which still seems to work oddly enough, when plugged in now it doesn’t even show any sign of life, I inspected the inside of the modem to target the source of the acrid smell. Seems like the little chip directly in front of where the power plugs got fried somehow not sure if power surge or what, but it’s surely toasted. 

2 minutes ago, Shakatis said:

Cheers, appreciate the hospitality. I was indeed using the power cable that came with the device it was plugged into an extension which still seems to work oddly enough, when plugged in now it doesn’t even show any sign of life, I inspected the inside of the modem to target the source of the acrid smell. Seems like the little chip directly in front of where the power plugs got fried somehow not sure if power surge or what, but it’s surely toasted. 

OK thanks, could you send an email over to [email protected] with a link to this thread and we can look into this further for you.