Playstation 4 NAT Type 3 (moderate) problem

Good morning everyone,

I have tried everything to get my PS4 to NAT type 2, but it never changes from type 3.  I have tried forwarding ports 80, 443, 1934, 3478-3480 for TCP and UDP to my PS4, but it never changes from type 3.  I removed my port forwards, and verified UPNP is enabled, which it is.  On the UPNP tab, I see ports 9305 & 9308 active to my PS3, but still type 3.

The Netgear XR1000 WAN port is connected to 1gig fiber and that is all.  No other routers on the line.

I have tried the knowledge base and all ideas there seem to have no effect.

Any idea how to change this?  I am blocked from playing most online games due to this.

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Is there a modem/router the XR is connected to or is it essentially going into an internet port in the wall? It is quite possible you have CG-NAT, you can test this by following the section at the bottom of this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat let us know the results you get.

It looks like I am good on CG-NAT.  Do I need to test it directly connected to the fiber?  Right now I am connected to the XR1000 via Wifi and got the results below.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.795]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\tonym>tracert 100.69.241.166

Tracing route to 100.69.241.166 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  100.69.241.166

Trace complete.

• Administrators

Yes you should do directly, not through the XR. Is there a modem/router the XR is connected to or is it essentially going into an internet port in the wall? Ahh, I think you do have it unfortunately, could you go to Google type my ip, then tell me the first 3 digits and the last three digits please?

• Administrators

Thank you for confirming, that is what I am seeing your public IP as as well, which means unfortunately you do have a CG-NAT as you can see from the look up of your WAN IP:

image.png

this is why you have had so many problems across all games. There are only two options to solve this:

1. Contact your ISP, it is very unlikely they will take you off this but what they probably would offer to do is give you a static public IP (usually for a price!) and that would get rid of CG-NAT.
  2. Change ISP to one that doesn't use CG-NAT, unless you know of one that definitely doesn't use it there is no way to tell so you may want to contact any you are considering and ask them whether they use it.