Fortnite geofilter issues

Is there a way to only opt one server on Fortnite. I’m from England and know there is a Fortnite server in London so I just geofilter the radius for London thinking that will work. But Fortnite wants to only choose a server in Germany and everything I try to play anything I get a matchmaking error because that server is not in my radius but how come the server in London is never chosen? Are there are workarounds this? I own a xr1000

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is the ping to the Germany server? It may be mislocated on the map. Also the way Fortnite matchmaking works is that it only tries to connect to a server when it's loading into the pre-game lobby so that is the only time we can block it. So it can be better to set it to Spectating Mode and quit out if it's not the server you want until you get the correct one.

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is the ping to the Germany server? It may be mislocated on the map. Also the way Fortnite matchmaking works is that it only tries to connect to a server when it's loading into the pre-game lobby so that is the only time we can block it. So it can be better to set it to Spectating Mode and quit out if it's not the server you want until you get the correct one.

Thank you for the reply. I have a 35 ping to Germany. What is spectating mode? 

• Administrators

Okay so it probably is in Germany then. At the top of the Geo-Filter page where you have added your device you can switch it to Spectating mode, this will allow you to see the servers and ping them etc but it won't filter.

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so it probably is in Germany then. At the top of the Geo-Filter page where you have added your device you can switch it to Spectating mode, this will allow you to see the servers and ping them etc but it won't filter.

So what can I do in my situation if I just want to play in the London servers? I mainly got the xr1000 for the geofilter option so if it doesn’t help me at all I might just have to return it unfortunately

• Administrators

So set it to Spectating Mode, search for a game, look at the Geo-Filter, if it isn't the server you want then quit, search again, rinse repeat until you get the server you want. You can keep the Geo-Filter on but due to the way their matchmaking works it will be faster to do what I mentioned.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So set it to Spectating Mode, search for a game, look at the Geo-Filter, if it isn't the server you want then quit, search again, rinse repeat until you get the server you want. You can keep the Geo-Filter on but due to the way their matchmaking works it will be faster to do what I mentioned.

Okay and what if I’m playing with friends. Just seems like an annoying process just to find a game. Do you think netduma will ever have a fix for this? 

31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Then you could enable the Geo-Filter but would take longer, I believe we did look into it but there isn't much we can do, if we find a way then we will make it possible

Waiting for a match is not an issue. My issue is that Fortnite will just find a server somewhere other than London which I am looking for and then just throw an error saying matchmaking error 

• Administrators

That's when a server is getting blocked outside your radius, you will have to keep trying as it only tries to connect to a server when loading in - it's not like CoD where it will continue to search until it finds one you can connect to/within your radius

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's when a server is getting blocked outside your radius, you will have to keep trying as it only tries to connect to a server when loading in - it's not like CoD where it will continue to search until it finds one you can connect to/within your radius

I see. I was literally queuing up for 15 mins just for a game and kept getting matched in Germany and have to just give up. Why is that Germany server so popular haha 

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Haha I'm not sure, Germany is in a good position in Europe for a lot of countries to get a good ping so they may save other servers for particularly busy times

Also this is the second netgear product I have owned and the second time I’ve had issues with your qos. I’m from England and my isp is sky and anytime I use the qos it just completely ignores my settings. If I set I cap my speeds it ignores it. Could it just be netgear doesn’t work with my connection? I have used previous routers and their qos worked fine

On 7/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please? Are you using PPPoE/VLAN at all?

I don’t think I am and I am on adsl2+. To be honest my connection at home is garbage dsl without fibre so speeds of 20down and 1up and the isp router from sky is horrible for bufferbloat hence I need it improved. Here is a picture of my d7800 qos page you can see my upload is capped to 0.4mb but it doesn’t actually work and you can see my bufferbloat results. Also here is another user having the same issue with qos upload cap not working 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7800-QOS-upload-limit-not-working-cause-of-bufferbloat/m-p/1077126

4311118F-0F36-4AF2-BA84-4F53A3C87625.jpeg

• Administrators

I'd suggest disabling QoS completely on that router as two routers using QoS won't be helping, are ALL devices connected to the XR or are some still connected to the Sky router?

Can you provide a screenshot of your XR QoS page please? Are you using PPPoE/VLAN at all?