802.11ac Question

Ru2u

Hoping someone can help answer this question.

I just purchased a new laptop, (Dell XPS 13). It will arrive tomm. The wifi standard this laptop uses is 802.11ac which I know the Netduma doesn't support. So my question is will I still be able to use this laptop with the Netduma or will I need to purchase a new router?

I would think when a new wireless standard comes out they're usually backwards compatible so I would hope I can still use the Netduma and the laptop but have it just run on wireless B, G or N which would be at alot slower wireless speeds but at least I wouldn't have to get rid of my Netduma.

No the ac standard is backwards compatible. You will not be able to get the full capabilities of the ac standard but it will work fine.

Thanks Buck Nasssty, that takes a load off my mind. Once I open the laptop I can't return it so I woulda been stuck if I couldn't connect wirelessly.

One more question though, ... So my wifi settings in netduma just says 2.4ghz. no mention of B, G or N. Does it support wireless N?

So when I connect my laptop will it automatically pull the fastest protocol the netduma supports? I wouldn't want to get stuck pulling wireless B or G.

Archived