XR1000 latest firmware issues

Hi all, 

1st post, go easy on me. Been following the forum since I bought an XR1000, but only now after the latest update have I felt the need to post

Having updated the firmware on my XR1000 to 1.0.0.64_1.0.49, it seems to be a backwards step compared to .58. The interface has become even slower, but more noticeably it appears to have broken congestion control and benchmark. I've also noticed every time I log in to the router I keep getting the tutorials popping up even though I keep checking the box. I've done the usual factory reset after update from both the interface and the button on the back of the router, but it has made zero difference. It's frustrating as it seemed to be working pretty well on the old firmware. I was getting good results consistently and very few hang ups.

If you manually change the sliders on congestion control it no longer says applying settings, is that normal with the latest firmware? I've auto set up the CC numerous times yet when I do a benchmark the ping is an absolute mess under load. Sometimes I get better readings but others not, it certainly doesn't seem to provide stable results based on the auto set up of CC or manually. When manually adjusting the sliders it also takes an age to go to benchmark or another section, sometimes it wont even load. 

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated

Thank you

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

If you have saved the interface address when the tours were on and keep accessing using that link they will keep appearing. In which case using the IP or routerlogin.net on its own should work, otherwise does your browser clear cache/cookies when you close the tab? 

It may just be applying very quickly which is why it can't be seen, how did you do the factory reset? We're still improving Auto Setup and Benchmark so you don't need to worry too much about that, you're very unlikely to get those kinds of results. 

Hi Fraser,

I updated the firmware and once the initial set up was done I reset the router via administration > backup settings > erase function. When I finally set it all up again I noticed it wasn't performing anywhere near as good as the previous version which prompted me to reset via the button at the back. Fast forward another hour it was set up again but still not showing any improvement. The CC seemed to be working great on .58, now I just get inconsistent results. Just didn't expect it not to perform the same way .58 did considering the only feature that was added was the adblocker.

Must the CC be in 'always' when doing adjustments and testing on benchmark?

• Administrators

I wouldn't worry about the results being shown, for a start Bufferbloat/what Ping Under Load shows will only occur when the connection is completely saturated, having Congestion Control set will prevent that completely. Yes it should always be set to Always to show a difference on Benchmark. 

Thanks for the info.

I know you say not to worry about the results, but the difference between .58 and .64 benchmark tests are day and night. How do I know which one was giving me the most accurate results? .58 would give me good feedback on ping under load and was repeatable whereas .64 is all over the place no matter where I seem to place the sliders.

• Administrators

We haven't changed anything specifically on that version to do with Benchmark so likely something on that update, perhaps the DNS is affecting it and so last version is likely more accurate. Our next version will bring all the platforms more in line with each other.