XR500 into OpenReach Fibre Socket, bouncy download speeds (Sky)

Hey NetDuma forum! Have been running a double router config for a while to have my XR500 working with Sky Q (Sky Hub wireless disabled to basically just act as a bridge). Have had the the Sky Ultrafast Fibre (~500 down) for a few months and happened to just Google if I still need the Sky Q Hub or can the XR500 be plugged directly into the Openreach Socket, turns out it can, great. Did just that, ran the setup wizard, all seemed great, speeds were even higher (Up to 520). Had a random drop that didn't come back, tried fiddling and had to reset the XR500. While everything is working again now, speeds are very bouncy, between 300 and 520.

Disabling QoS and UPNP make no difference. I haven't edited the DMZ as I wouldn't be sure what to enter there. I could be completely wrong here but would I need to enable any VLAN settings?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, m0ngr3ll said:

Hey NetDuma forum! Have been running a double router config for a while to have my XR500 working with Sky Q (Sky Hub wireless disabled to basically just act as a bridge). Have had the the Sky Ultrafast Fibre (~500 down) for a few months and happened to just Google if I still need the Sky Q Hub or can the XR500 be plugged directly into the Openreach Socket, turns out it can, great. Did just that, ran the setup wizard, all seemed great, speeds were even higher (Up to 520). Had a random drop that didn't come back, tried fiddling and had to reset the XR500. While everything is working again now, speeds are very bouncy, between 300 and 520.

Disabling QoS and UPNP make no difference. I haven't edited the DMZ as I wouldn't be sure what to enter there. I could be completely wrong here but would I need to enable any VLAN settings?

Thanks!

How are you testing the speeds, using Connection Benchmark or using a third-party speed-test such as speedtest.net?

Could you also just confirm your current physical setup? Is it something like below:

Internet -> Modem -> Sky Q Hub -> XR500 -> Connected devices

If that's the case, I'd suggest putting the WAN IP of the XR500 in the DMZ of the Sky Hub. You'd need to do this by going to the Sky Hubs interface. I'd also suggest reserving the current WAN IP address for the XR500 to prevent it from changing in future.

Let me know if that helps. To answer your last question, you shouldn't need to use VLANs as your ISP doesn't require it.

Hi Liam,

Thanks for clearing up my VLAN confusion.

I use a few different things to test speeds just to see if it’s consistent or not, Fast, SpeedTest, Connection Benchmark on DumaOS and the Nighthawk App. Did a test  on these just before replying to give an example:

Fast: 530 Down/48 Up

SpeedTest: 332 Down/42 Up

Connection Benchmark: 364 Down/65 Up

Nighthawk App: 516 Down/71 Up

The physical setup currently is the XR500 -> OpenReach Fibre Socket. I’ve included a picture just in case. (Small white box is just a Hive Heating thing)

252D54DD-BF32-4F84-BC95-FCB678D77BA8.jpeg

Ah great - apologies I clearly didn't read your first post very well.

Could you first confirm which firmware version you're currently running on the XR500?

Are you running these speed tests over wired or wireless?

There is a known issue currently with Connection Benchmark reporting incorrect speeds, so I would consider these results with a pinch of salt. Similarly, you could just be connecting to a poor speedtest.net server.

Are you results from fast.com fluctuating in the same way or are they a fairly consistent 500Mbps.

No worries, I did overload it a bit!

If I'm right that the firmware is in the top right, it's XR500 V2.3.2.130. Checking for Firmware updates says no new Firmware available.

The speed tests are all done on a Wired connection. The Fast.com results fluctuate as well, sometimes it's an instant result and sometimes it may be 30 seconds before the speed stops increasing. Since the problem it has even decreased, increased, decreased again during the test.

OK perfect, thanks for confirming.

What was the activity like on the network when you were running these tests? If there was any other devices using the internet, that would explain the fluctuations you've been seeing.

Otherwise, perhaps try running tests at a few different times throughout the day and monitor if there's any fluctuations in the results.