Unknown devices on wifi

I need help, whenever I go onto device manager on routerlogin.net I'm seeing 1 and sometimes 2 unknown devices.

I've changed the password and name multiple times and they still are getting on. I have about 9 devices connected and do it 1 by 1 and name it right away so I know what's what. Then randomly will see a unknown device pop up. Is this a glitch or is someone getting onto my WIFI?

Whenever I remove them from my WIFI it gets right back on hours later. I blocked the device but I'm worried if it's a hacker on my WIFI they are seeing all my logs and stuff. I just bought this router about 3 weeks ago. 

It always connects on the 2.4GHz and not the 5GHz too.

Any help is very much appreciated! 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It's nothing to worry about at all, if you have any iOS devices like an iPhone it has a feature that randomizes the MAC address and therefore the router will detect it as a different device. If you turn off private addresses on WiFi settings it should stop happening.

Okay cool thanks, One more thing. I have an XR500 and my internet keeps going out. Nothing on my providers end cause I’ve been checking with them. It happens randomly, it’ll go out for 10-15 minutes then come back on. All the lights on the router stay the same too. It’ll say “connected but no internet” or “connected but not secured”. It could be coincidental but I had a VPN on my phone and ever since then I would have random connection loses. 3rd day it’s done this. I’m not using the vpn anymore but it’s still losing internet connection. 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In LAN Settings set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

Well I did that and it just went out again, and didn't come back on until I fully reset it. Not sure why this is happening? Should I return this router?

Also not sure if I said this but wifi and ethernet devices are going out not just wifi

• Administrators

Could you provide a screenshot of the LAN Settings page just so I can double check if anything else needs to be changed?

What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?

It is an issue that needs to be fixed on the XR by NG but hopefully we can workaround it in the meantime.

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you provide a screenshot of the LAN Settings page just so I can double check if anything else needs to be changed?

What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?

It is an issue that needs to be fixed on the XR by NG but hopefully we can workaround it in the meantime.

XR500 maybe? Or maybe AC2600 hopefully 

Screenshot (81).png