Ping Spikes

AlanLJ

Hello All,

As the title suggest, since Monday I seem to have very unstable ping.

During matches my ping spikes from roughly 27ms to circa 180ms for long periods of a game (playing halo infinite). I hadn't changed anything so not sure what is causing this. Playing in a tournament on Sunday so hoping to get this resolved prior to then. I'm not 'network savvy' so would really appreciate any advice/tips anyone could provide. After playing tonight, I carried out a connection test as per attached.

Thanks

Connection Test 1.PNG

• Administrators

Based on the results there it looks like your connection has some instability which wouldn't be something a router could inherently fix, it could just be your connection to the Google servers (which is what Benchmark uses to test the ping). I would suggest you follow this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping and use a local site to test instead of Google and see if the results are similar. Post a screenshot of the results and then we can further advise on next steps.

HI Fraser.

Thanks for the response. Since coming home from work I have carried out two ping tests as per the guide. Picture 1 is with nothing else in the house on. Picture 2 is with 2No. TVs streaming netflix and a youtube video playing on my PC.

Any advice on next steps would be much appreciated.

Ping Test 1.PNG

Ping Test (congested).PNG

• Administrators

Great thank you for that, so on the contrary your line does look very stable but when you're introducing bandwidth intensive applications that's where it begins to spike wildly so that indicates that whatever QoS settings you have currently are not right for your connection. So what I would recommend you do is do the second test with Netflix/YouTube etc and leave them running, confirm it looks like the above and then lower the Congestion Control percentages until you get a graph that looks more like the first PingPlotter picture. Once you've done that you'll have eliminated local congestion and you can stream, game etc all at the same time without lag!

Magic thanks! Had to get to around 10% before any changes but now looks like the attached (second half).

Do you recommend using Auto-Enable on the congestion control or just manually changing to Always whenever I'm playing?

Will try out some Halo tonight and report back :)

Congestion Control.PNG

Also, I've been gaming with this exact setup for just over a year. Any ideas why this problem would suddenly start happening? I've never touched any of the QoS settings on the router and there has always been other devices/TVs streaming whilst I've been playing with no issue.

• Administrators

As the percentage is so low I'd suggest just leaving it on Auto-Enable, then it'll just apply when gaming and you can set and forget essentially!

Did you upgrade to the new firmware recently by any chance? If so that could be why, there were quite a lot of changes and so readjusting QoS may have been necessary to account for that.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, AlanLJ said:

Will give that a try then thanks. Nope - literally nothing has changed so just find it a bit weird that I'd all of a sudden start experiencing those problems.

There are a lot of variables so impossible to say, perhaps your base ping rose a few ms for example, as long as you've got it dialed in now you're all good!