QoS and NetDuma Setup

Hello Everyone :)

So I have good, but not great internet (only 35Mbps download and 10Mbps upload) and use a Netgear/NetDuma XR1000.

My TV is streamed through the internet using an online box and I need to prioritise this device for both the download and upload speed I get first and foremost. Then whatever is left of my download and upload speed can be distributed to other devices (like games consoles, phones, tablets etc). 

This is how I currently have things set up in the QoS section: please see attachments below. 

As you can see, the TV box gets priority Number 1 (41) and then the PS4 gets priority Number 2 (21) and then everything else gets normal priority (0, 2 or 3). However, when a normal priority device starts to do something bandwidth-heavy (like watching UHD content for example) or the PS4 starts to download game updates etc, my TV box will start buffering and stopping, as it is no longer getting the bandwidth it now needs.

Have I set things up wrong, or is there a better way I should be doing things?

Many thanks. 

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 17.19.15.png

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 17.18.10.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

So the way Bandwidth Allocation works is that if a device isn't using all of its allocation then it will give that bandwidth to a device that needs it even if that is above its allocation. You can get around this by disabling Share Excess in the menu, however that will lock the devices to their allocation and in this case you have some set to 0 so they wouldn't get internet. If you do go down this route I'd suggest you delete all offline devices on the Device Manager from the menu and that should allow the online devices to have an allocation higher than 0.

However, the situation you described would be better rectified by using Congestion Control, currently you have this disabled (I assume with your speeds you didn't want to limit it) but it is actually the best resource to ensure all devices can use the internet at once so I would recommend you try with it enabled, set to Always and try with 70% for Download and Upload to start and see how you get on.

Hi Fraser.

Thanks so much for your reply!

So on the NetDuma FAQ page it says “This option automatically enables Congestion Control only when you are playing an online game. If you have a very busy home network such as a smart home, we recommend selecting 'Always' instead”. 

To be clear, I want my streaming TV box to be number 1 priority in terms of bandwidth (even moreso than gaming). Once the TV box has enough bandwidth, it can then share with other devices. The next priority device for me after that is the PS4, then any other device that’s connected is last. 

So if I switch on Congestion Control and set it to “Always”, and then set it at 70% as suggested, will this achieve my goals above? In addition, do I also need to prioritise the devices in that order on the Bandwidth Flower (image 2 in my original post) after turning on Congestion Control to ‘Always’?

Many thanks! 

• Administrators

Bandwidth Allocation isn't really setting a priority, it's just allocating bandwidth based on your wants/needs. Enabling Congestion Control in itself won't necessarily prioritize any device above any other but what it does is allow all devices to use the internet without causing each other to lag. Given you're using a bandwidth intensive application (TV streaming) and a non bandwidth intensive service (gaming) enabling Congestion Control would be the best option for you and I would suggest setting it to Always based on the scenarios you've mentioned (you're not always gaming but do experience lag/buffering so want it to be enabled all the time).