xr1000 - Needs some TLC

The XR1000 is a great router but dumaOS causes it to become quite slow, interface wise and especially if your try to use the app-; u can't.  I can't even use the app anymore because of time-outs going back to the router.

THESE NEED TO BE FIXED ASAP:

- Admin Interface auto-log after 1 min.  If the interface is on the local machine the admin interface should not time out in 1 min, more like 10 should be default

- Talking to App and visa versa - Just don't work anymore, times out getting devices and other details from the app - Is this an app issue or router issue or both

- Unknown Devices applied to every device when they connect.  Really?  Whats the point?  FIX as this is just unreal

- Fix for Wi-Fi Addresses using private address iPhones, etc..  - this is a major bug that cause iphone especially to obtain everlasting IPs, connected or not. And please don't tell me to turn it off in the phone. not the solution

- Devices when they disconnect remain connected in the device manager but are reflected as disconnected in device manager.  If you try to delete the devices it errors out and says it connected, when clearly it's not.  This is a continuous error/bug/issue and causes devices when they come back online to obtain multiple IP's from host/router. I had 5 devices have over 6 IPs at one point.   Really???

- Log Output in interface should be larger so log entries appear on one line. Why are we still resorting to a console look style as the log output display.  Output should match the screen width minus any gui elements for that output structure

- Ability to add and toggle RAPPs on and off as well as add them.. Since Day 1 (over a year now, I've never been able to add or disable RAPPs. Why??)

- Sadly enough this router will become an AP as it's interface and functionality is just too slow anymore. I love waiting 10 mins to login to my interface when I have to make a quick change or add something for a device.

- GUI updates? where are they? When I do a firmware check it always comes back with my firmware (1.0.0.58) but always has a different gui version. I'm currently using 1.0.44 but I believe 46 is out there.  Why does it not download that or give option to download it install?

xr1000_update_Checker.png.ecd45addc4123fb4c22aa4cfc44293bd.png

I'm wide open to suggestion guys, so fire away!

Thx

-z

Thanks for posting this, I'll answer in order:

1. What browser are you using? This isn't an issue we've heard reported too much as far as I'm aware so it'd be good to look into it with you.
  2. We're working on some massive app improvements currently so you'll notice these hopefully in the next firmware
  3. This occurs with devices that use MAC randomisation, otherwise all other devices should be named correctly after a few minutes
  4. Same as above. We're looking into this but it's not a bug per se, it came about when the feature was implemented in iOS 15. We're looking into working around it but you'll likely find that most routers struggle to give iOS devices a host name for this reason.
  5. I'm not sure I understand, but we have seen an issue where devices are not represented properly in Device Manager and again this is going to be improving soon.
  6. Thanks for the feedback on the log output, the logs are mainly there to be exported and given to developers in the event of an issue. A lot of the log entries can either sound quite sinister when they're not, or they won't make an awful lots of sense to the end user anyway.
  7. This is another one that's on the roadmap, thanks for mentioning it!

Sorry to hear how you feel, as I mention we're currently putting a lot of resources into new firmware for the XR routers and are also testing new features with our R2 beta testers, so this will all be improving!

The GUI language version is not the firmware version, I believe this is just built into firmware and is maintained by NETGEAR. You're up to date with the latest firmware.

21 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for posting this, I'll answer in order:

1. What browser are you using? This isn't an issue we've heard reported too much as far as I'm aware so it'd be good to look into it with you.
  2. We're working on some massive app improvements currently so you'll notice these hopefully in the next firmware
  3. This occurs with devices that use MAC randomization, otherwise all other devices should be named correctly after a few minutes
  4. Same as above. We're looking into this but it's not a bug per se, it came about when the feature was implemented in iOS 15. We're looking into working around it but you'll likely find that most routers struggle to give iOS devices a host name for this reason.
  5. I'm not sure I understand, but we have seen an issue where devices are not represented properly in Device Manager and again this is going to be improving soon.
  6. Thanks for the feedback on the log output, the logs are mainly there to be exported and given to developers in the event of an issue. A lot of the log entries can either sound quite sinister when they're not, or they won't make an awful lots of sense to the end user anyway.
  7. This is another one that's on the roadmap, thanks for mentioning it!

Sorry to hear how you feel, as I mention we're currently putting a lot of resources into new firmware for the XR routers and are also testing new features with our R2 beta testers, so this will all be improving!

The GUI language version is not the firmware version, I believe this is just built into firmware and is maintained by NETGEAR. You're up to date with the latest firmware.

Hi Liam. Thanks for your responses.  I will return response in order you listed as well rather than quoting them all out again..

1) I use secure Firefox. Not really sure its a browser issue, as I get the same intervals when using chrome or even Edge.

2) I hope so.  There hasn't been a firmware update for the XR1000 in over a year. I know there are security issues out that that needs attention....

3) Yeah I get that with the MAC and random WiFi addresses. Its a smart thing and helps but is a pain in the butt.  And the devices do not pickup their device names, ever regardless if it's a iPhone or not. Only true device that has actually acquired it's actual device name are my  printers.

4) Good to know. Look forward to see how it turns out

5) To clarify on this. If a device is connected, say a Mac Book or a iPad or even a Kindle, and the device goes offline, the device will reflect it's offline in the device manager (in offline graph section), but if for whatever reason you wanted to remove an offline device there is a 50/50 chance you can. As it will return back with a message it's online so you can't remove it.  Additionally, I've seen it time and time again where you click an offline device from the offline section of the device manager, it's reflected as "online" in the properties pop-up window.  So there are some flag issues going on.  The only way to correct any issues like this as well as others, is to reboot which is not generally available until like 3-4 am.

6) On the logs. Yeah I get that, but there are there for viewing purposes of the owner, us, too. Would be nice not have to scroll a million lines for 50 true lines of events.  Plus makes it easier to read it. Should not be a hard thing to fix as it all part of GUI

7) I hope so, as there are some Rapps that we just don't need and would help in overall processing

8) I don't want the new XR2. Support for firmware and the likes should take place for existing routers over newer routers.  I feel like Netgear and NetDuma are just continuing to push newer routers and then the existing routers, the ones people have purchased, fall off the deep end.  Life cycle for routers is getting shorter and shorter from Mfg, especially from Netgear. This is complete BS in my mind.  3 year lifecycle is crap.  Routers should be built better to support the future a little. It's limited, I get it... but you get my point.

9) The gui issue I pointed out is conflicting. If you look at the pic, my top circle reflect my firmware and gui.  Middle circle is the firmware.gui returned on the check. So I see my firmware is up-to-date, but the gui is behind? Why? How to resolve? What are the differences?

Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. OK, let me see if we can recreate this internally!
  2. We absolutely agree, we posted an update on the Nighthawk sub-forum as to why it's taking so long and we're now working on new XR firmwares. Thanks for voicing your concern though!
  3. Out of interest, are both wired and wireless devices not showing the correct names in Device Manager? We've made some improvements to Device Manager recently so this will improve in the next firmware.
  5. We did see very similar issues to this on the R2 and it's been updated on there, so far it's performing a lot better so these changes will be included in the next XR1000 firmware. It's just a front-end issue as far as we can tell.
  6. Understood, I'll make sure the feedback is passed across.
  7. When a Rapp is not configured/not in use, it sits dormant and doesn't occupy many resources at all. However, I agree, if it's not in use it would be good to disable it completely. This idea is already on our roadmap as it's been suggested previously.
  8. I'm not suggesting we're working on new routers, I'm saying we're working on new firmware. This means new features and fixes to existing problems. These firmwares are beta tested with our R2 community before applying them to XR routers such as your own. For context, we still support our very first router released 7 years ago.
  9. As far as I'm aware, the current GUI language version is basically just a language pack, it's not the GUI version. This hasn't been updated in a little while hence why it's version number is behind the firmware version number, both are still up-to-date however.

20 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. OK, let me see if we can recreate this internally!
  2. We absolutely agree, we posted an update on the Nighthawk sub-forum as to why it's taking so long and we're now working on new XR firmwares. Thanks for voicing your concern though!
  3. Out of interest, are both wired and wireless devices not showing the correct names in Device Manager? We've made some improvements to Device Manager recently so this will improve in the next firmware.
  5. We did see very similar issues to this on the R2 and it's been updated on there, so far it's performing a lot better so these changes will be included in the next XR1000 firmware. It's just a front-end issue as far as we can tell.
  6. Understood, I'll make sure the feedback is passed across.
  7. When a Rapp is not configured/not in use, it sits dormant and doesn't occupy many resources at all. However, I agree, if it's not in use it would be good to disable it completely. This idea is already on our roadmap as it's been suggested previously.
  8. I'm not suggesting we're working on new routers, I'm saying we're working on new firmware. This means new features and fixes to existing problems. These firmwares are beta tested with our R2 community before applying them to XR routers such as your own. For context, we still support our very first router released 7 years ago.
  9. As far as I'm aware, the current GUI language version is basically just a language pack, it's not the GUI version. This hasn't been updated in a little while hence why it's version number is behind the firmware version number, both are still up-to-date however.

Hey Liam. Thanks for your responses, again. Much appreciated!!  At this point I think you've covered all the questions and concerns and it appears I won't be able to do much until som firmware updates are released for the XR1000.  I thank you for your time and your responses and look forward to future updates, regardless of me putting the XR1000 into AP mode or not which is where I'm leaning for right now as I have to move onto better security and less headache with interface and device identification, etc.. I still think the XR1000 is top-shelf. just a shame it's being overlooked, so to speak, for other models now..

2 hours ago, zrocweb said:

Hey Liam. Thanks for your responses, again. Much appreciated!!  At this point I think you've covered all the questions and concerns and it appears I won't be able to do much until som firmware updates are released for the XR1000.  I thank you for your time and your responses and look forward to future updates, regardless of me putting the XR1000 into AP mode or not which is where I'm leaning for right now as I have to move onto better security and less headache with interface and device identification, etc.. I still think the XR1000 is top-shelf. just a shame it's being overlooked, so to speak, for other models now..

No problem, thank you for your patience and understanding, do let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.