R2 behind Netgate Pfsense

Hi

I want to use my recently purchased R2 as a gaming only for my console and gaming PC to get the benefits of Geo Filtering / pIng etc.

Id imagine setup is ISP Modem > Netgate > R2

So ISP modem goes into WAN port on Netgate. 

Id create an OPT1 port on Netgate and send that to the R2.

Question is does the it go to the R2 WAN or LAN port

Anyone have experience on the best way to get this working or recommended settings?

As the only things on the R2 will be Console/Gaming PC i would allow an ALL out rule on the pfsense if needed for the R2 source.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The R2 has to get internet so it would be in the R2 WAN port. I haven't used pfsense specifically so couldn't help with that aspect but the allow all out rule should hopefully allow for an Open NAT for the gaming devices behind the R2.

thanks

i think you just replied on twitter too 🙂

OPT1 on pfsense is just another port you can use for whatever you want.

So id assume the WAN port on R2 would need a static IP on the same subnet as whatever the Subnet would be on the pfsense opt1 port. 

I was going to make the pfsense port 192.168.88.1 and make the R2 wan port 192.168.88.2 as s tart to this process

Does sound about right?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

yeah it has DHCP but i was going to disable DHCP on that pfsense and manage it statically as its only 1 device plugged in and you can turn off pfsense per interface port on the pfsense.

Fair enough, shouldn't have any issues then!

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

R2 Dashboard is coming up so im getting internet OK. 

is there a ping tool on the R2 that i can use to ping from the device itself?

It depends what you're wanting to do exactly, you can use Ping Heatmap to do that by making your own list.

• Administrators

Any device you want to be Geo-Filter has to be connected to one of the R2 LAN ports or the R2 WiFi, Netgate will be the only thing connected via the WAN port and even with the WAN passing through the Netgate the Geo-Filter will still work. Let us know how you get on!

• Administrators

Okay so you'll just need to do this:

On 1/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Any device you want to be Geo-Filter has to be connected to one of the R2 LAN ports or the R2 WiFi, Netgate will be the only thing connected via the WAN port and even with the WAN passing through the Netgate the Geo-Filter will still work. Let us know how you get on!

and have all other devices connected to the Netgate.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Only issue I’m having is the double nat now.  

when adding to a “dmz” in a traditional home router what is that actually doing? Is that port forwarding everything to the that ip? Is it essentially a 1:1 nat?

It essentially passes all traffic straight through to the DMZd device so that it's unaffected by the router firewall etc imposing restrictions on the connection