Geo-Filter through wireless AP not working

QuackShot

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help, I'm running a Netduma R2 with wireless turned OFF and a Ruckus R750 Wireless AP providing the WiFi muscle, generally the router is working as intended and I'm happy with the device, I love what the team at Netduma are doing and I'm actually quite proud that my fellow brits are pioneering a solution to a problem that other vendors have failed to address / addressed incorrectly in their "gaming routers".

This being said, I HAVE run into a slight issue in that the R2 Geo-Filter works perfectly when device(s) are connected via ethernet to the router, or via R2's organic WiFi, but the Geo-Filter does not seem to work for devices connected via the Ruckus R750.

I've tested with both an Xbox Series X and PS5 and neither even show servers / peers when matchmaking as they do when connected via wire.

Via the Ruckus R750 - All devices are correctly assigned an IP address from the Netduma and are visible as seperate devices in R2's device manager, but the Geo-Filter has no effect when running this way (I've checked and it's not just a visual bug, the devices can connect to servers / peers outside my defined filters when running this way).

I've attempted reboot / factory reset of the router but no luck, is this a known limitation of the R2 or something easily solved?

PS - Yes I know I SHOULD be gaming via ethernet not WiFi but the Ruckus R750 is a very capable AP and maintains pings in the 18 / 19ms range even under stress, so me (and my Halo Infinite K/D) are happy to play this way!

Thanks in advance,

'Shot

• Administrators

When the devices are connected to the AP and active do they appear as offline in the Device Manager by any chance? 

Try this:

1. Quit the game completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  4. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  5. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  6. Wait 2 minutes
  7. Boot up game

Then see if it works.

Hi Fraser,

Thanks for the swift response, appreciate the out of hours reply. I doubt there's many company representatives that would go out of their way to respond to a customer late on a Wednesday in the middle of the festive period. Noted and as mentioned, very much appreciated.

Regarding your post:

"When the devices are connected to the AP and active do they appear as offline in the Device Manager by any chance?"

The PS5 and XSX remain online in device manager when powered on, but the Ruckus AP moves between online / offline constantly. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it moves between states in device manager.

"Try this"

Unfortunately, this didn't work. Still no Geo-Filter applied to devices connected through the AP. Devices connected to the organic WiFi of the R2 work perfectly as does anything connected via ethernet.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, it would be nice to square away the issue but I doubt most users are running this way and I've always got the option of a hard wire - have any other users running a seperate AP / Router in AP mode raised the issue?

• Administrators

You're very welcome!

Right, it could be that it's offline that is the cause, in which case it may be a hard one to resolve. Give the devices connected to the AP a reserved IP in LAN Settings (on the R2) and on the devices themselves make sure you don't use instant on or power saving modes - shutdown fully then power on each time you want to use it and see if they appear to be online when used please.

I know some people use an AP behind the router but no reports like this that I can recall. 

Good Morning Fraser,

Apologies for my belated response, after a heavy day on Halo Infinite I needed some sleep!

"Give the devices connected to the AP a reserved IP in LAN Settings (on the R2)"

As per your suggestion I reserved an IP address for the Xbox in the R2's settings (I also changed the IP from the one provided originally by DHCP in case of a issue related to the LAN IP address) and after restarting the Xbox and it adopting the newly reserved IP I can confirm...SUCCESS!!

Thanks very much for your help with the issue and especially for the VIP late night response.