XR500 QoS issues

I am not too sure as to why my QoS is giving me low download speed and upload speed(30 download Mbps, 2 upload Mbps). Before, I would get around 140 download and 8-10 upload speed. My service plan speed is 200 download speed and 10 upload speed. However, when I turn off QoS, it gives me 233 download speed and 10-11 upload speed. Does that mean the QoS is broken? I'm not too sure what to do or how to fix it. i tried resetting the router, which it worked and gave me my speed with QoS on, however, the next day it went back down to 30 download and 2 upload speed. Please help me, I will appreciate the help. Thank you!

@Netduma Fraser  The router and firmware version is XR500 V2.3.2.130  - I turned off the QoS for now since I'm getting good internet speed. I am using WiFi to test the speed, the app i am using is Speedtest by Ookla. Unfortunately, I don't have a laptop to test the speed with ethernet. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.37.13 AM.png

• Administrators

When the speed drops do a Connection Benchmark test, it won't be super accurate but does it show higher/closer to expected speeds?

How do you have WiFi setup e.g. Smart Connect enabled? Have you changed any WiFi settings recently, perhaps in Advanced WiFi settings?

@Netduma Fraser The first two test are A+ but the ping underload is D. I don't have smart connect enable, however,  for 2G the channel is set to auto and the mode is set to 800mbps. For 5G, the channel is set to 153 and the mode is set to 1733 mbps. Do I need to change any of those, like the channel or mode? I am not too sure if I did anything to the advanced settings, I did before but that was 3 months ago I believe. However, since I reset the router, I'm assuming the advanced settings also reset. Is there any good settings for advanced settings and all that, because I tried looking up on youtube but there's no videos about the settings.

• Administrators

What was the actual speed it reported - quite close to your set speeds I imagine? Channel for 5GHz is fine, though for your area it may not be the best, you'll have to test that. You can get a free WiFi Analyzer on the Microsoft Store for Windows called WiFi Analyzer, connect to 5GHz and run the test, then see if there is one less congested in your area. Are you testing through 2.4 or 5GHz when doing a speed test? How close are you to the router when testing?

Nothing specifically I would recommend enabling/disabling in Advanced WiFi settings currently.

@Netduma Fraser Yes my actual speed was the same as my set speeds. I launched the Wifi Analyzer app and clicked on Analyze, the best channel they suggested in my area is 56. I clicked on the "Network" tab and I see all my neighbors wifi channel and theirs are set to 56, and some on 60. However, I don't really understand what channel does to the network. 

I am testing the speed test through 5GHz and my router is close to my room. 

@Netduma Fraser I changed the channel to 56 for 5Ghz and I tested the internet speed with QoS on, and now I am getting high download and upload speed. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it! I will let you know if something happens later on, and ends up lowering my download.

@Netduma Fraser Hey there! I'm having some difficulties with the download speed. My congestion control is both set at 70%. I left a screenshot to see my QoS, however, when I test my speed, it only gives me 90-105 download speed, the upload speed is fine. My channel for 5Ghz is 116, which was recommend for me on the Wifi Analyzer. On the analyzer app, the ones with the most stars, or max stars are the best ones? I just been having issues with these settings to be honest. When I first got the router everything was running smooth, I was even getting over 200 mbps download speed. Now, I'm not getting any of that. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 7.49.55 PM.png

• Administrators

Where are you testing the speed exactly? What about the wired connection, are you getting expected speeds there? Yes I believe that's right, basically on the graph you'd want to choose a number that would have the least overlap with the others. 

@Netduma Fraser I'm testing the speed from an app on my phone called SpeedTest by ookla. Unfortunately, I can't test the wired connection since I don't have an ethernet adapter, however I just purchased one yesterday but will arrive next week. That makes sense, the channel that it recommended works wonders, but all I need is to get my download speed to go higher.

@Netduma Fraser I just changed it and now I am getting good download speed and upload speed. I set both congestion control to 85% which is 198 download speed and 9.4 upload speed, however when I test the speed on the app, it went up to 176 download speed and 7.66 upload speed. For some reason, I feel like if I setup to any percentage, the speed doesn't reach to the how it's setup (which is 198 download speed, and 9.8 upload speed) but is only 10 to 15 mbps aways.